Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple approach to bow hunting for deer

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Simple approach to bow hunting for deer

It seems that bow hunting has become complicated due to a massive amount of marketing from scents to camo to an endless amount of new gadgets etc.....

Hunt where the deer are.
    Hunt un-detected.
    Fool the deer's nose, ears & eyes.
    Aim for a double lung pass-through.

Put them all together & you will have some fine eating venison...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

It's not rocket science.
    Not many seem to want to put the time in anymore to take things slowly and learn.

edit: after I wrote the above statement I started thinking about it a little more. You see back when I started hunting there was no internet and very little in the way of marketed products, etc. I scouted in the off season and hunted with my Grandfather in his fedora and lumber jacket. I got busted many, many times failing many, many times during the season. All the failures lead to learning and successes.
    The internet is a marketer's paradise for things like this now. In the old days, well mine anyway, there were very limited ways for these companies to reach me. Hmmm? Yeah I'm kind of glad!

Companies, manufacturers and their prostaff and celebrities will have the average guy thinking that if he doesn't have 12 of the latest trail cameras, spend hundreds of dollars on scent control a year, have the latest and newest $1000 plus bow, (because last year's is obsolete), plant at least 5 acres in food plots, buy corn, deer feed and mineral by the truck load, that they won't be able to get a deer. It's all hogwash!

It's the same with everything now, even fishing. When I was a kid I use to set minnow traps in the stream at night to catch crayfish for bait for bass fishing. I bet that will still work and I won't even have to wear a bikini.
    Last edited by Jeff Kavanagh; September 14th, 2019 at 10:36 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    It seems that bow hunting has become complicated due to a massive amount of marketing from scents to camo to an endless amount of new gadgets etc.....

Hunt where the deer are.
    Hunt un-detected.

I have to say that deer hunting or hunting in general is getting ridiculous with all the scent protection clothing, foods plots, bow sights with built in range finders etc.
    It's almost getting that you don't need any knowledge or experience.
    I know that I'm exaggerating a bit but still......
    And I will probably get a lot of negative responses from this

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fieldtrip View Post
    I have to say that deer hunting or hunting in general is getting ridiculous with all the scent protection clothing, foods plots, bow sights with built in range finders etc.
    It's almost getting that you don't need any knowledge or experience.
    I know that I'm exaggerating a bit but still......
    And I will probably get a lot of negative responses from this
    Exactly!!

Keep it simple!!!

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post

Hunt where the deer are.
    Hunt un-detected.

You nailed it, do the basics right and you will be successful. That's exactly the route I took when I started deer hunting way back. I basically followed bow hunting techniques and applied it to rifle hunting as well. In fact many of the deer I've shot with a gun were within bow range, or at least today's bows.

Cheers

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I would add:
    practice as much as you can - especially before the season starts,
    make sure your bow is shooting where you aim with broad-heads,
    remind yourself about deer anatomy. and where to aim from different angles/highs,
    and, know & stay within your limits.
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

yep. best advice for deer hunting is shut up, go slow and dont move if possible. my first few years of stalking deer landed me in front of quite a few deer. knowing the right move after you spot one is a whole different ball game though

another idea for new bow hunters is to go for squirrels. gives you good practice, keeps you sharp and helps you trust your instincts.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

All awesome advice! I drew my first deer tag this year in a bow only wmu, I’ve practiced, I’m comfortable with my shot. Really hoping to fill my tag , thanks for the reassurance in keeping it simple .

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dskunk View Post
    All awesome advice! I drew my first deer tag this year in a bow only wmu, I’ve practiced, I’m comfortable with my shot. Really hoping to fill my tag , thanks for the reassurance in keeping it simple .
    Dskunk-the over the counter (one per every licensed hunter)deer tag gives you right to hunt deer in any WMU, where and when the archery season is open ,with ARCHERY gear.Buck only, no draw required.
    Hover,You may refer to antlerless deer-then yes,there is a draw for that additional right.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Dskunk-the over the counter (one per every licensed hunter)deer tag gives you right to hunt deer in any WMU, where and when the archery season is open ,with ARCHERY gear.Buck only, no draw required.
    Hover,You may refer to antlerless deer-then yes,there is a draw for that additional right.
    Your right, it is an antlerless tag I drew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast