Thread: Cancer in Dogs

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Cancer in Dogs

So my neighbor lost his 6 year old Bernese Mountain dog to lung cancer, a friend lost his Great Dane to bone cancer and another buddy lost his 7 year old chocolate lab to bone cancer as well and all in the past month! I realize certain breeds are more susceptible to cancer, but it seems to be so much more prevalent now. Its never an easy time putting down a dog but it seems more bearable when they have a grey muzzle, hard of hearing and their hips are worn out.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

From what I read 50 % of dogs develop cancer after the age of 10

According to the National Canine Cancer Foundation, Boxers, Bull Mastiffs, Basset Hounds, Saint Bernards, Scottish Terriers, Airedales and Bull Dogs appear to be at increased risk for this disease (Broad Institute adds Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever and Irish Wolfhound).

" Its never an easy time putting down a dog but it seems more bearable when they have a grey muzzle, hard of hearing and their hips are worn out." quote

Have not found that to be so after having 8 dogs in my lifetime. My almost 14 year old setter is dealing with kidney failure. Trying to prepare myself , but...............
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We've lost 3 Bernese at young ages (6-8) to Cancer over the years. It was tough, especially after each of them also had TPLO surgeries in the last 2 or so years before the were taken by cancer. The one we have now is 7 and looking great , knock on wood.

It's the risk of having big dogs; we've lost Great Danes, German shepherds St Bernard's (mix) to early deaths. Never get used to it, but wouldn't change our love of having them.

Asked the ortho surgeon at the Vet Hospital once what breed is best to avoid the things we were going thru and he said Standard Poodles or 3rd generation Mutt's.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

They are with us for such a short time but they give us so much.
    I lost this wonderful guy to cancer a year and a half ago.
    3389_975680542487134_1563349322151408528_n.jpg

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

My first Boxer was 9.5, he looked the part, all grey and white about the muzzle and ears. His heart gave out and he passed away on the livingroom floor with us by his side. Even though he looked the part his death hit us hard.
    My latest Boxer was just over 9, he looked 3-4, just a bit of white. He started having problems late July... from the blood work, cancer. We chose to keep on as normal, treat pain when needed. After a month we started treatment for pain. He had experienced a bad week, the a couple of really good days. August 31 he was with me, walking the yard, front and back, lazing about in the sun, the the shade, it was a good day. Then on September 1 we had to go to the Vet one last time. He was in severe pain, could not stand up at all, needed support front and back to walk. Once the choice was made and he was gone it was an immediate sense of relief. We had 5 weeks to prepare ourselves, sure there were tears; but his pain was over. We do miss him and grieve for him; but his death was a whole lot easier on us.
    I do love Boxers, I will be getting another; but gonna try to wait for spring.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

We lost our 10.5 year old chocolate lab to bone cancer last Tuesday . 2 months ago we were walking 10 km a day ....at the end he could barely get off the porch to do his business . He was a great dog . ..I have to thank member Krakadawn ... he gave me guidance when Cooper was quite young and that help turned Cooper into a serviceable retriever and a great member of the family . It hurts like hell but we know that we did the right thing for him letting him go.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I lost a GWP to cancer a few years ago (at the age of 8). So difficult to watch your closest buddy decline in health. I have a 2yr old Brittany now that's just a hurricane. If I had half the energy of this dog...

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I had to put my best friend down first of August, Vet figured it was a cancer. I still very sad about what I had to do. Not a day goes by I don't think about him and shed a tear. So much easier when they are really old and can't move, still extremely hard.