Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now Grouse Season is close

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Now Grouse Season is close

Now the upland season is upon us thought I'd post one of my recipes.
    SAUTEED GROUSE WITH APPLES CREAM & CALVADOS

4 boneless skinless grouse breasts
    salt & pepper
    ¼ cup butter
    2 spy apples (or other tart crisp apples) peeled & sliced
    1tsp chopped fresh thyme
    ½ cup dry white wine
    ½ cup whipping cream
    2 tbsp calvados (or brandy)

Season birds with salt & pepper
    Heat 2 tbsp butter in skillet on medium heat. Add apples & thyme and saute until apples soften (about 5 min)
    Remove apples and add remaining butter.
    Add grouse & saute 3 min each side until golden.
    Pour in wine & bring to a boil. Reduce until about 2 tbsp remains. Add cream & calvados & simmer until just thickened and juices run clear. Stir in apples and serve over sliced new potatoes.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great recipe now all we need is one for the legs
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I've been reluctant to try something different with the few birds I get during the season but this is something I want to try.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

that sounds really good! i bet with the apples it has a nice off-sweet taste, almost like a creamy cider?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I made this tonight and I loved it, and so did my whole family. They all love game but my 7 daughter can be fussy about sauces. They also like the regular way I cook grouse (bread crumbs and pan fried) so much that I was worried that it wouldn't be "as good as normal". I used regular brandy but will pick up the calvados for next time. The sauce doesn't over power the meat which is my concern with some recipes. Now I just need to get my brother to try it. Thanks.
    Last edited by kickingfrog; September 24th, 2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo correction
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I don't hunt grouse or at least there aren't any near me. this sounds great, wondering if small chicken breasts would turn out as good as this sounds.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    I don't hunt grouse or at least there aren't any near me. this sounds great, wondering if small chicken breasts would turn out as good as this sounds.
    I think it would. The only thing I'd modify is cooking the breasts longer before adding the cream and brandy due to thickness. Or you could pound them a little like a scaloppini.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well, I’m gonna buy a bottle of Calvados this week for sure. Thanks Tim.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Sounds good! Might it work well with pheasant too?
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Apprentice

User Info Menu

It will work with most upland birds. Haven't tried it with water fowl or woodcock though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast