Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl Heritage Hunt with the boy

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Waterfowl Heritage Hunt with the boy

Got out this morning, a new spot we had to boat to not far from home...got up and the fog was thick...so thick our headlamps were actually working against us...At one point the boy says “Dad, those lights are following us”...I check the GPS on the phone and we had done a little circle in the open water....spooky to say the least...

So, we get to our spot, chuck out the decoys, a few woodies close to shore, some mallards in one side and some goose shells with pipe insulation to make them floaters...

We were on a small island with a couple of trees and we waited....

We could hear geese in the fog, but couldn’t see them... Suddenly there’s a woodie in the spread, up he goes, the boy takes a swing and a miss and the morning has started....

Few birds moving and with no other hunters out to push them it was slow...

Watched a few geese up high, a few ducks land a ways off, but none real close...

Quietly we had a couple of mallards buzz in, Wes swings but misses again, only knocked a couple of feathers off, but the bird never slowed...

We’re watching a couple of birds paddling around and they look to be moving to our decoys...They get in range but spook and take to the wing...Wes shoots twice and finally has two young Wood ducks, a drake and a hen...

We give it half an hour, but not much doing, so we call it...

Waterfowl Heritage day morning is done with two birds coming home... not sure if we’ll get out tonight but the morning was fun....had to remind Wes he only gets a few more years and then he’s too old to...but until then...

TurkeyJohn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Great stuff. You guys will remember that your entire lives. Wes will be telling that story to his Grand kids someday.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Looks like a nice quiet peaceful place, congrats to you and your son...
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What a NICE report, and what a LUCKY young man!!!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great report. Awesome memories. Congrats.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Good job guys
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kavanagh View Post
    Great stuff. You guys will remember that your entire lives. Wes will be telling that story to his Grand kids someday.
    I would guess the number of misses goes down,plus the number of birds and what they were grows over the years. I wonder how many years till he limits out on Giant Canadian geese in his story?

You should have been there kids..the ducks were so thick ya did not even have to shoot. Just hold a stick up in the air and one would run into it.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    I would guess the number of misses goes down,plus the number of birds and what they were grows over the years. I wonder how many years till he limits out on Giant Canadian geese in his story?

You should have been there kids..the ducks were so thick ya did not even have to shoot. Just hold a stick up in the air and one would run into it.
    He's already doing that....I think it's a trait he's picked up from a great grandfather he never met but was named after.....He used to tell tall tales to my brother and I regularly and we soaked it in....God I miss that man....

TurkeyJohn

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Doesn't get any better. I still think about those early days when I took my boys out duck hunting. Dad will remember forever.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyjohn View Post
    He's already doing that....I think it's a trait he's picked up from a great grandfather he never met but was named after.....He used to tell tall tales to my brother and I regularly and we soaked it in....God I miss that man....

TurkeyJohn
    May be he gets it from someone a bit closer.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast