Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weight for 3 day spike camp backpack , Rifle included

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Default Weight for 3 day spike camp backpack , Rifle included

What is the acceptable weight for 3 day spike camp backpack , Rifle included ...?
    There is not much difference between 3 day and 7 day , except food and water .
    Also the 3 big item can be saved weight is Backpack sleeping bag and the third is the tent .
    I was using my Pelican 60 sled in winter to pul in my backpack .
    Last edited by alfoldivandor; October 5th, 2019 at 04:15 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think you'll have trouble finding anyone on here that goes further than 100 ft. from their truck, let alone a 3 day trek in the bush?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Probably you are right , will hear in a week ....!
    Some group are planing a spike camp
    on this moose hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    I think you'll have trouble finding anyone on here that goes further than 100 ft. from their truck, let alone a 3 day trek in the bush?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

So many variables, terrain your covering, physical fitness your in. I know what I carry is a lot less then some of the guys I go in with. Saying that itís a lot more then others or so I tell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Iíve weighed my pack for Algonquin trips before and they come in around 80lb. Typically I have a separate kitchen pack (small bear barrel that I Carry with the canoe). Those two would come to about 90 together. Any Portage under 2km is manageable more than that = hell. Rest required every 500-600m. Iím 47, run, swim and work out regularly and feel like thatís my limit. Myccr is a forum for Canadian canoeists. You could likely post a pack weight thread there and get a lot of useful and experienced advice/responses on this

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

wouldn't it completely depend on what you're capable of carrying?? if the plan is to get a moose i'd want a light as possible pack because they're big animals haha

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Evening

Here is a good idea and discussion on pack weight and variables.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/10564600/1

Trevor

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alfoldivandor View Post
    What is the acceptable weight for 3 day spike camp backpack , Rifle included ...?
    Back in the day,we used to carry no more than 80lbs. Now,many years later,if we stay out,it's only over night and only if there's an animal down very late in the day that's going to be a tough haul out. It's better to wait for morning when the rest of the crew can bring in the gear,so,we only carry the bare necessities,tarp for shelter,rope,cook kit,food,water,the whole pack is,at most,50lbs.
    Gun control is the "canary in the coal mine" because it shows a failed government on the path to oppression,dictatorship and communism.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It’s one thing to pack into a spike camp but you need to be able to pack a moose out if you kill. Just sayin.....
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Depends how many people are spiking out. You only need so many cook sets, tarp/tents, etc per group. If you’re on your own it will weigh more. I know a week long pack for me stays under 60 lbs, but I learned a long time ago that you don’t need everything and the kitchen sink. It is relatively easy to figure out what you actually need vs what might be nice to have. Especially if you are hunting seriously and the goal is to punch a tag, not just lounge on the hillside.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will squander all his earnings, relationships and free time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast