Thread: Will deer eat Horse Chestnuts.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Will deer eat Horse Chestnuts.

I was thinking about putting out some horse chestnuts to bait deer. I know that the squirrels will take them as well but I’m ok with them accidentally planting some in my woodlot.
    just looking to try something different.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That's a good question...I read once that deer do eat them, but I have never tried them on the bait pile. I know a lady that has a few trees, I should get a bag full and give them a try.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    That's a good question...I read once that deer do eat them, but I have never tried them on the bait pile. I know a lady that has a few trees, I should get a bag full and give them a try.
    My daughter’s cottage has a tree and I thought I would try. If nothing else the squirrels will inadvertently plant some for me in my woodlot. Once I gave some I’ll set up a trail camera to see what eats them.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would put them in or close to a known good bait pile like apples that'll bring the deer in and see if they 'find' them.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I put some in my food plot with apples and two other piles with apples, Chestnuts and sweetly supplement. We’ll see what happens on the trail cameras.

Attachment 38993Attachment 38994Attachment 38995

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I suspect if a deer will eat acorns, that they will also eat chestnuts. It is progressing towards that time of year when their digest system has a refit. That is to say the micro-organism in their stomachs undergo a change that allows them to switch to harsher roughage, which they have to live on over the winter months. Apparently even juniper bushes once they acquire a taste for them become one of their favorites. They also like mushrooms.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Will deer eat Horse Chestnuts.

Horse chestnuts are pretty bitter not sure squirrels eat them or at least stash them away maybe you get a tree out of it

Just noticed the beechnuts are starting to fall Large crop of acorns

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have them at my house and squirrels devour them. Never enough left to bother picking them up for bait.