Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plucking Grouse

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Plucking Grouse

I’m curious to know if anyone attempts to pluck grouse. I find the skin much to delicate and it tears easily but maybe I’m not doing it right. I wonder if it would add anything to the cooking process by leaving the skin on.

thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I have only ever plucked one bird. I attempted a couple others with no success. Plucking right away while the bird is still warm is easier, but I find as soon as I got near a hole from shot the skin would tear like tissue paper.

I find it easier to separate the legs with the skin off anyway. I try to take as much meat as I can.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I pluck every thing grouse no different. Its bit of an art form. I use the hot water method. Once you get the temperature right its not that bad.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I find the skin rips to easy, but like FFF said it could be done and I have done it before but won't do it any more
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I’m going to give it a try on my next bird. I’m thinking I might be able to spatchcock it and bbq it like Portuguese chicken.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbuff View Post
    I’m going to give it a try on my next bird. I’m thinking I might be able to spatchcock it and bbq it like Portuguese chicken.
    Dry heat....them legs most likely be tough and dry. I like to pot roast my birds with a quick broil at the end to brown 'em

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Perhaps brining the night before will help.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbuff View Post
    Perhaps brining the night before will help.
    them legs are always a challenge, maybe why most chuck 'em. Fortunately for me dad always preferred legs leaving the breast for me.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

It can be do but takes a bit of time. As said warm bird works and if you try hold skin area where you pull feathers from only removing small amounts of feathers it helps. We would pluck birds remove breasts and use rest including heart liver and gizzards for soup, drumsticks are boney and you need a few birds plus chicken stock.
    Experience is what you gain when you didn't get what you wanted.

Many are called but only a few are chosen.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

What about freezing then plucking?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast