Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plucking Grouse

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

i've done it once. its a long go but i find most birds, as FFF said, the hot water seems to make it easiest. most of the time i just skin it and it takes maybe a minute.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I don't pluck, but skin whole bird. Stuff with onions and lemon and broil in tin foil. They can dry out quick if watched. Still the best tasting game bird out there.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

The only way I ever clean grouse is by standing on the wings and pulling the feet. Every thing is gone, clip the wings, whole bird ready to cook. Not sure why to pluck bird?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    The only way I ever clean grouse is by standing on the wings and pulling the feet. Every thing is gone, clip the wings, whole bird ready to cook. Not sure why to pluck bird?
    Only way I've ever done them too!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Same here. I pull the head and crop off first then wait about 20 minutes to let the bird cool off somewhat. Then do the wing thing.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    I don't pluck, but skin whole bird. Stuff with onions and lemon and broil in tin foil. They can dry out quick if watched. Still the best tasting game bird out there.
    Rufffed grouse are good but the Shartail grouse is really good if you know how to cook them. We Goto Alberta every year and I seek them out more than Hungarian Partridge.

Breast boned out and a piece of prosciutto on the breast side cooked on a pan prosciutto side down until caramelized then basted with butter to finish off. Simply amazing. Trick is don’t cook past medium. It’s as tender as a venison filet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

With all game birds, if you mainly want the breasts, don't forget to consider using the rest to make stock. I breast my grouse. Fillet the breasts off woodcock and doves but the rest of all 3 typ
    es of birds I freeze in one bag and at the end of the season we make stock from the legs, backs, wings etc. These days store bought chickens have almost no flavour. This is a great way to add flavour to your cooking plus you feel great using every bit of the game birds.
    A bad day hunting is still better than a good day at work!
    40 year member of OFAH

Elite Member

User Info Menu

If u pluck you need to do it when it's still warm. Otherwise you'll tear the skin.
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Pluck by pulling the feathers "with the grain"not against like you would a duck.Do this right away after shot and you wont have much trouble.
    I will sometimes pluck rabbits.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Plucking Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    If u pluck you need to do it when it's still warm. Otherwise you'll tear the skin.

Not necessarily true. Plucked “cold”

Yes it’s easier when they are warm but it can be done cold without tearing up skin. Just takes longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast