Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fall season; Oct 15th

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    You'd better hope a monster buck doesn't come by while you are out hunting for turkeys.
    rf, that's exactly what happened to me last year. I had the shotgun and was walking to the blind when a BIG bodied 4 pointer blasted out of the bedding area. he stopped about 20 yards after busting out, snorted at me and then pranced into the next field. it really sucks when that happens :P

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Just bought fall turkey tag while getting control deer printed off at service ont

They couldnt even get turkey tag to print they call Mnr to reset twice before they could print it

Sweet system. No trees where harmed

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Blind set up...tag purchased and weather forecast is (so far) good for Tues Morning.

This guy looks like he's suffering from a lead imbalance..have to rectify that HaHa..

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Had 10 turkeys this morning called a few times worked them to 50yd of the box blind.
    Was really starting to think I was going to have wild turkey breast for thanksgiving

When two of this year fawns came out of the bush 70yd away and those turkeys just went running over to the deer. Like a dog greats your kids getting off school bus

And then they all just wondered down path through bush

Been busted by fawns multiple times just never had them lead turkeys away.
    Bad picture

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Proof that "Time is well spent on a good Recce"…If I do say so myself

My trail cam has been catching a small flock (6-8) of Toms walking thru the bush every morning, so I set up the pop- up last week and headed out at 0 dark 30 this morning.

Not a whole lot of a story; in the blind before sunrise, settled down a was quietly reading my book and not a sound, not even the chipmucks and squirrels were up yet. I looked up, nothing. Read a few more pages, looked up, nothing. A few more pages looked up and there they were; 15yds in front of the pop-up. Not a sound, the wet floor in the forest deadened the sound of their approach.

The trees provided enough cover to get the shotgun in place and waited till a shot presented itself. The Pic from the inside shows I had to thread the needle between two trees. Three went by before I got lucky and one paused, stuck his head up and doesn’t remember a thing.

I don’t know why more guys don’t hunt the Turkeys in the fall, a great opportunity shake it out and watch for deer a couple weeks before the opener.

Shotgun: Mossberg 16 ga Model 190K.. full choke ..#5 shot

Distance; 17 yds

Nice fall Tom, 19lbs, 10” beard and 1” spurs….

from the inside ...

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Proof that "Time is well spent on a good Recce"…If I do say so myself

My trail cam has been catching a small flock (6-8) of Toms walking thru the bush every morning, so I set up the pop- up last week and headed out at 0 dark 30 this morning.

Not a whole lot of a story; in the blind before sunrise, settled down a was quietly reading my book and not a sound, not even the chipmucks and squirrels were up yet. I looked up, nothing. Read a few more pages, looked up, nothing. A few more pages looked up and there they were; 15yds in front of the pop-up. Not a sound, the wet floor in the forest deadened the sound of their approach.

The trees provided enough cover to get the shotgun in place and waited till a shot presented itself. The Pic from the inside shows I had to thread the needle between two trees. Three went by before I got lucky and one paused, stuck his head up and doesn’t remember a thing.

I don’t know why more guys don’t hunt the Turkeys in the fall, a great opportunity shake it out and watch for deer a couple weeks before the opener.

Shotgun: Mossberg 16 ga Model 190K.. full choke ..#5 shot

Distance; 17 yds

Nice fall Tom, 19lbs, 10” beard and 1” spurs….

from the inside ...

Great morning Mike....
    I was out as well, but my birds pulled a Houdini again, hard to pattern being an hour away, Good on you though a nice Tom no less!!
    TurkeyJohn

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Good job. I need to get back out but I have head cold. Sitting quietly and coughing doesn’t work

Let us know how it tastes

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Congrats Mike, nice Tom!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Congrats. Nice Tom.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice looking bird, congrats....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast