Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game camera suggestions needed.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have used the primos ones has all the feature i want and never had a issue with them I think they cost me around 70.00 each night pictures are ok daytime really good .Battery life really good just my 2 cents akso the person who borrowed one from the funnel must like it he /she has yet to bring it back

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have to disagree, I bought a cheap no name on amazon for 69.99 including 32 gig card, it has a large LCD viewer to check your pictures. A buddy of mine bought one with the name Browning on sale for 100 bucks no viewing screen and no memory card. I also bought another tasco with Canadian tire money at Canadian tire for 50 regularly 100 no memory card (luckily I had one), no viewing screen and the pictures are not as good as the Chinese junk one I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    It's never usually a good idea to by any cheap Chinese junk.
    https://www.trailcampro.com/collecti...camera-reviews
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

GW I know the market has been flooded with cheap china cams the last few years, and if they last a couple of years it's still cheap. I apply that comment to about everything I buy. In particular when it comes to electronics and digital devices the reason they can make and sell them so cheap is because they use the lowest priced poorest quality components on their circuit boards. Chances are they will fail prematurely, in fact I have no doubt they are built to fail. Even the good ones finally pack it in.

There is a positive sign lately though. I switched to black leds for my bear baits years back and still use them but as good as daytime video and audio is, night time videos are poor quality compared to the old red leds. Now technology is really improving on that. Justin Hoffman is testing a new unit out that initially looks promising for night time video quality at a good price.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Elite Member

User Info Menu

After losing a camera I refuse to buy any camera that doesn't have a PIN code to lock the camera. I'm sure the thief doesn't even realize the camera isn't any good to hiim/her but I like the fact that it's useless to them. I found the higher priced rechargeable Li batteries really good even in cold weather.

I use the cameras in the off season but I pull them as soon as the hunting season approaches. Theft and educated deer become a problem. I just can't resist checking the damn things and that lowered my success.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    After losing a camera I refuse to buy any camera that doesn't have a PIN code to lock the camera. I'm sure the thief doesn't even realize the camera isn't any good to hiim/her but I like the fact that it's useless to them. I found the higher priced rechargeable Li batteries really good even in cold weather.

I use the cameras in the off season but I pull them as soon as the hunting season approaches. Theft and educated deer become a problem. I just can't resist checking the damn things and that lowered my success.
    Use a cellular with a solar charger - if you have cell coverage. No need to visit the camera to check it.
    Cellular also allows you to disable the camera remotely or track it's location if it is stolen.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Best camera I ever had was a homemade one with a bigfoot circuit board and 12mp camera. Sadly it was stolen, had a cable lok on it and the just took a saw to the tree.

Look at how clear these photos are!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Use a cellular with a solar charger - if you have cell coverage. No need to visit the camera to check it.
    Cellular also allows you to disable the camera remotely or track it's location if it is stolen.
    Thanks Werner. Guess that kind of solves several problems. How costly would that setup be?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Werner is correct. Solar/ Cellular is the way to go and SPYPOINT is the only one that has it.
    My cam has worked flawlessly all year long.
    2E1B0644-628F-48A6-A957-3F617D0EF405.jpeg
    Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, BADLANDS BACKPACKS
    Whitetails Crossing Outdoors
    Wasaga Beach

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    Thanks Werner. Guess that kind of solves several problems. How costly would that setup be?
    Not cheap. $550 after the mail-in rebate.
    I did run into problems with it this fall. It quit transmitting and needed a firmware upgrade.
    Documentation for the cameras is very poor - the process for upgrading the firmware is not in the documentation.
    Phone/email for spypoint is pretty poor too.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Myself... I would AVOID Moultrie and Wildgame Innovations cameras. I have had success with Primos ( Canadian Tire ) and Browning ( Cabela's ). The Brownings I use retail for well over $ 200 but Cabela's puts them on sale for around $129.
    As for batteries I use Energizer Lithium Ultimate ( they have a - 40 to + 60 degrees Celsius rating ) and seem to last quite a while ( depending on wildlife activity and blowing vegetation pics ).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast