Thread: Shoot Grouse from small tracks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Shoot Grouse from small tracks

Hi,
    Need help to clarify. I'm going for Grouse hunt. I will have ATV. Can I legally shoot the grouse from the tracks in the forest or are they also considered a road ?
    Need some please.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You can shoot grouse from the forest trails but not while sitting on the atv.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangat2000 View Post
    Hi,
    Need help to clarify. I'm going for Grouse hunt. I will have ATV. Can I legally shoot the grouse from the tracks in the forest or are they also considered a road ?
    Need some please.
    This is always a bit of a stickler for hunters and CO's alike as to what is the definition of a "maintained road" as defined in the Act. The general rule of thumb is if the road you're on is plowed in the winter and graded in the summer,a proper road (ie: The Highway Traffic Act definition) by a municipality (maintained). Forest trails/tracks are neither,but,and it's a big BUT, some municipal roads/right-of-ways and easement extensions are groomed by private individuals and/or snowmobile clubs and an argument has be made by them that they,too,are "maintained" roads open to public vehicular traffic. Of course,our position is that that's a false claim. AFAIK,no one has ever been charged with discharging a firearm from a road in that circumstance although there's always a big bone-of-contention between hunters and other users. Forest trails/tracks that are Conservation Authority land is not considered public property because fees for admission remove them from the public land domain making them private property,therefore,using them for hunting and shooting from those trails is not illegal.
    The best advice I can come up with for you is to pay strict attention to the wording of The FWCAct as found in The Summary on Page 23. If you're still doubtful,drop into your local OMNRF office and speak with a CO. Show them specifically where you intend to hunt. They won't steer you wrong.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    This is always a bit of a stickler for hunters and CO's alike as to what is the definition of a "maintained road" as defined in the Act. The general rule of thumb is if the road you're on is plowed in the winter and graded in the summer,a proper road (ie: The Highway Traffic Act definition) by a municipality (maintained). Forest trails/tracks are neither,but,and it's a big BUT, some municipal roads/right-of-ways and easement extensions are groomed by private individuals and/or snowmobile clubs and an argument has be made by them that they,too,are "maintained" roads open to public vehicular traffic. Of course,our position is that that's a false claim. AFAIK,no one has ever been charged with discharging a firearm from a road in that circumstance although there's always a big bone-of-contention between hunters and other users. Forest trails/tracks that are Conservation Authority land is not considered public property because fees for admission remove them from the public land domain making them private property,therefore,using them for hunting and shooting from those trails is not illegal.
    The best advice I can come up with for you is to pay strict attention to the wording of The FWCAct as found in The Summary on Page 23. If you're still doubtful,drop into your local OMNRF office and speak with a CO. Show them specifically where you intend to hunt. They won't steer you wrong.
    Have a wee read at the convoluted wording for hunting within 8 meters of a road,even after years in the business of reading wordings this one is a dozy.I had a C.O. explain it to me but for the average hunter this is a terribly written piece of law.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Have a wee read at the convoluted wording for hunting within 8 meters of a road,even after years in the business of reading wordings this one is a dozy.I had a C.O. explain it to me but for the average hunter this is a terribly written piece of law.
    Absolutely. For the averge hunter who may not be legally savvy,this piece of garbage regulation has been described as a "fine revenue generator". From what I've read,it's hard to disagree.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

As per the firearms act it is illegal to have a loaded firearm or discharge a firearm from a right of way.
    This could mean a trail, an unassumed road or an access logging road only the jurisdiction having authority can give you the correct answer.
    Always check as it will always be up to the discretion of the CO

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Articcat View Post
    As per the firearms act it is illegal to have a loaded firearm or discharge a firearm from a right of way.
    This could mean a trail, an unassumed road or an access logging road only the jurisdiction having authority can give you the correct answer.
    Always check as it will always be up to the discretion of the CO
    It's not part of The Firearms Act,per se, except for the blanket clause in Sect 15. Each province uses different wording through their Fish&Wildlife Conservation Acts and secondary regulations that pertain to them. For the average hunter who doesn't have a legal background in some aspect,it's virtually impossible to figure out.
    Last edited by trimmer21; October 7th, 2019 at 01:33 PM.