Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: U.S.A. Hunting laws.

  1. #31
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    A business is not going to supply staff and logistics to run a check station for free.
    Years back the MNR asked our local butcher/hat for hide guy to do some kind of monitoring/reporting for them and he told them to get stuffed. He was appalled they would ask a private citizen to do their work.

    He did relent once to allow the CWD team to work in his yard and collect samples from guys dropping off their deer.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #32
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    He did relent once to allow the CWD team to work in his yard and collect samples from guys dropping off their deer.
    Several years ago I had shot a deer at the edge of a field probably 2 to 300 yds from the road. I was busy dressing it when I saw a white MNR truck pull up. Naturally, I assumed it was a co? 2 young fellas hop out and lope across the field. It turns out they were working on the CWD team and offered to drag my deer back to my truck and then followed me home to help hang it. They did their work and I poured a shot! Win, Win.
    Last edited by Bushmoose; October 10th, 2019 at 04:56 AM.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  4. #33
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    A hat for hides in my area is a butcher shop. He is not to happy taking infor for the MNR when the deer is brought in for butchering and now we want to pass this extra duty on him. Guess who will be paying for it.
    How much time would it take really? How about 5 minutes to check a few boxes off and write down some info. You likely chat longer at the counter than it would take . I don't know about the rest of you, but I want the MNRF to glean as much information as they can from the deer harvest, even if some people, ( including me), are inconvenienced.
    Last edited by fishermccann; October 10th, 2019 at 08:00 AM.

  5. #34
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Not sure where you go for your "hats for hides", but up this way, the system has turned into a joke when it privatized. As SB said, hides left out rotting, no hats in stock or last years hats? My BiL used to run a store in the Soo that was a collection depot until it went private. He had hides sitting outside rotting because the truck that was supposed to do the pick-up didn't show up? He'd call, they'd make excuses? Then he'd have to deal with it? There were constant issues that caused him to wash his hands of it.

    To think that it "would cost nothing" to run a check station is a huge mistake. Private business'es aren't going to deal with the nonsense associated with a government mandated "check station" unless there is good renumeration involved. A business is not going to supply staff and logistics to run a check station for free.
    There are a few in WMU 60 and I use the one in Peterborough area,pretty good,but I have heard of complaints about hides let to rot mostly on this forum.Do not know how much credibility to give it as it would cut into the private businesses bottom line and MNR staff are around enough to check if this was a widespread problem.
    Private businesses are hoping that they can sell you something when you pop in,or get your meat cut with them,or up sell you on a better hat.
    If we wanted to ask them to run as a check station some money would have to be spent,but I would rather have a private business do than government.

  6. #35
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    How much time would it take really? How about 5 minutes to check a few boxes off and write down some info. You likely chat longer at the counter than it would take . I don't know about the rest of you, but I want the MNRF to glean as much information as they can from the deer harvest, even if some people, ( including me), are inconvenienced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    There are a few in WMU 60 and I use the one in Peterborough area,pretty good,but I have heard of complaints about hides let to rot mostly on this forum.Do not know how much credibility to give it as it would cut into the private businesses bottom line and MNR staff are around enough to check if this was a widespread problem.
    Private businesses are hoping that they can sell you something when you pop in,or get your meat cut with them,or up sell you on a better hat.
    If we wanted to ask them to run as a check station some money would have to be spent,but I would rather have a private business do than government.
    Do you guys really think it's that simple? Take that "about 5 minutes" and multiply by 20-30-40 or more visits per day from hunters and then the time to collect, organise and store the paperwork to keep on hand for when the MNR comes in to gather it? Go talk to these business owners and ask them.

    As for the spoiling hides, the MNR staff would have zero say in it. It was owned and operated by a First Nations group. They'd tell the MNR to go pizz up a rope.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  7. #36
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Okay he gets 20 guys info and that takes one hour. What does a butcher get? Lets say 60 bucks an hour, then give him the 60 bucks. It would still cost a lot less than having a CUPE member (MNRF), do it. The question is , are you trying to save money, save inconvenience, or get the information?

  8. #37
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Do you guys really think it's that simple? Take that "about 5 minutes" and multiply by 20-30-40 or more visits per day from hunters and then the time to collect, organise and store the paperwork to keep on hand for when the MNR comes in to gather it? Go talk to these business owners and ask them.

    As for the spoiling hides, the MNR staff would have zero say in it. It was owned and operated by a First Nations group. They'd tell the MNR to go pizz up a rope.
    I never mentioned 5 minutes,but for what it is worth I have never encountered any line up in the one on Highway 7 (transcanada) outside Peterborough which
    is central to some of the bigger WMU down here ie 60.

    The hides for hats is a pretty well run set up with a lady in charge Barb Thompson.They have a full website http://hatsforhides.com/ which answers questions
    about handling and so forth and is well done.
    There is a list of all the stores involved,if you have any questions or complaints Barb will sort you out (I mean help you) within a few minutes.

    Perhaps you can express to her your disappointment with the First Nations Group running it in your area and suggest alternative places to her.

    A BIG THANK YOU TO BUSHMOOSE WHO BY HIS CONCERN FOR FELLOW HUNTERS HAS HELPED UNCOVER THESE CHANGES THAT MIGHT OTHERWISE HAVE INCONVENIENCES MANY HUNTERS THIS FALL.THANK YOU BUSHMOOSE.

    I am adding an updated letter from their website for the attention of forum members:


    Dear Big Game Hunter

    It is with regret that I must announce that we will not be able to pick up the deer and moose hides from all the former Hats for Hides Depots. There will still be 20+ depots (see depot page)
    Yes, the conservative government did contribute 100,000 this year to the program and at the time the goverment decided to assist this year, it was not known that Barrett Hides in Barrie, ON was closing their doors! The hats for this year had already been ordered and paid for.
    For the past several years Barrett Hides picked up and held the deer and moose hides from Western, ON (on behalf of BRT) and BRT picked up the deer and moose hides from Northern and Eastern, ON. We have tried to locate someone in Western, ON who could do a weekly pick up from the depots and compile the hides into loads for shipping out. Frankly, there is not enough revenue in hides to make this appealing to anyone
    There will be very limited Hats for Hides collection depots in Western, ON. Mapleton Taxidermy (south of London), Lantz Meat Market (Durham), John Somosi (Hanover), Whites Tanning (Rockwood) and Leskas' Meats (Orillia); so utilize these depots if at all possible. If you are hunting up north, please check the website for Northern Ontario depot locations.
    We regret any inconvenience to the hunting community but these circumstances are beyond our control.

    1. Bear hides have been eliminated from the exchange program – bear hunters are welcome to purchase a hat or crest or hat and crest for their collection.
    2. Party hunters are allowed to purchase extra hats and crests so all members of the hunting party can obtain a hat and crest if they wish to do so.
    3. An unspoiled deer hide less than 6 sqft, or caped hide, or a deer hide cut in half will receive a crest a no charge and the hunter has the option to purchase a hat at a nominal fee if they wish to do so.
    4. No free crest or hat will be give out for a spoiled hide (turning green, off odour, hair slippage) regardless of the size of the hide – hunter may purchase hat and crest if they would like to.
    5. Some plain camo and deluxe camo hunting hats are available to purchase at participating depots for bow hunters who would prefer camo to orange.

    Please feel free to contact our office directly if you have any questions.
    With Sincere Thanks,

    Barb Thompson
    Program Co-ordinator

    barb@brtgroup.com
    Phone: 705-295-6833
    Last edited by Gilroy; October 10th, 2019 at 09:01 AM.

  9. #38
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    G..... that was me that brought up 5 minutes. It was just an approximation, but whatever reasonable amount you pay the butcher for their time , it has got to work out cheaper than paying a C.O. to do it, and keeps them in the field. Thanks for the H. for H. information.

  10. #39
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    G..... that was me that brought up 5 minutes. It was just an approximation, but whatever reasonable amount you pay the butcher for their time , it has got to work out cheaper than paying a C.O. to do it, and keeps them in the field. Thanks for the H. for H. information.
    Yeh I know you brought it up LOL No worries pretty glad Bush pushed a few posts to get us digging,should work out for all the readers and after all is not this what this is all about.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •