Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: U.S.A. Hunting laws.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    I was referring to mandatory "check stations", not reporting? And I believe you definitely need to get out more and travel this province if you think there are states down there that are more remote. You've been watching too many Mountain Man tv shows?
    Been to Yellowknife and much further north, been to Whitehorse and drove almost to Alaska.

My mom grew up further north than you live, thanks but I understand Ontario and the complications of the province.

Mandatory check stations are a great idea, people have to live in communities right? Not too many hunters would never have any contact with other people.

I am not suggesting within the hour, or before noon the next day like turkeys but the check station idea can be done if done with variation depending on the zone.

Someone in SW Ontario can have the animal checked in within 24 hours, no problem there. Someone in the far reaches of Ontario can also check in their animal with a week or two, there are options.

In the Yukon some of the animals need to be reported in person within 21 days. If you are a non-resident you have to report it before leaving the territory. If you shoot a sheep then you have to get the horns tagged. We are not as remote as the Yukon yet they seem to be able to figure out a system that gets real numbers rather than the voluntary system where people come on to forums like this one and tell people to lie so they can get more doe tags.

In person check stations and reporting stations are a great idea, do not have to cost anything more.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Fox I’m with you 100%. Check stations work in other jurisdictions and Ontario would be no different. It doesn’t have to be done in the far reaches of our north, most guys are from southern Ontario and travel past numerous mnr offices etc enroute home. If our province was serious about game management it would be the easiest solution. You are on a fly in moose hunt and are successful, give a hunter 7-14 days to stop in at a predetermined location enroute in his travels for a free hat and the knowledge of some biology information. Guys drive miles to drop of hides to get a hat or patch... in hopes they would be used in crafts or clothing, not a stretch to suggest they would do the same to provide some information for wildlife management.

Hunters can play a role in our future if we are willing, just need some buy in and a touch of goodwill.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Check stations cost money and the mnr doesn’t have any.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

How many of you guys have hunted in the USA?
    What state?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    Check stations cost money and the mnr doesn’t have any.
    Would cost nothing to have the hats for hides stores act as check stations,they are already in place,pretty well run and hunters are already stopping to drop off their hides.There are as many of them as MNR offices in any event.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I agree that the hats for hides depots wold be a good start for check stations, but I gave that up a long time ago when they went to fewer depots and I had to drive a lot further for a hat. Not worth the trouble or expense.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redd foxx View Post
    I agree that the hats for hides depots wold be a good start for check stations, but I gave that up a long time ago when they went to fewer depots and I had to drive a lot further for a hat. Not worth the trouble or expense.
    A hat for hides in my area is a butcher shop. He is not to happy taking infor for the MNR when the deer is brought in for butchering and now we want to pass this extra duty on him. Guess who will be paying for it.
    Experience is what you gain when you didn't get what you wanted.

Many are called but only a few are chosen.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Some of the laws Gilroy cited sound a bit goofy but its been my experience that many are penned simply to close loop holes that shady hunters have used to beat the system.
    And if you think their game laws are a bit off you go to the other extreme in some states with their fishing laws.
    As far as hats for hides program I stopped bringing my hides in when the program went to the private sector and I saw a ton of hides left out to rot in the sun.
    Last edited by sawbill; October 9th, 2019 at 07:14 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skull View Post
    How many of you guys have hunted in the USA?
    What state?
    NV( Non-resident trapping license), CO ( Small Game), UT ( Small Game), AR( hogs), FL ( Hogs).
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Would cost nothing to have the hats for hides stores act as check stations,they are already in place,pretty well run and hunters are already stopping to drop off their hides.There are as many of them as MNR offices in any event.
    Not sure where you go for your "hats for hides", but up this way, the system has turned into a joke when it privatized. As SB said, hides left out rotting, no hats in stock or last years hats? My BiL used to run a store in the Soo that was a collection depot until it went private. He had hides sitting outside rotting because the truck that was supposed to do the pick-up didn't show up? He'd call, they'd make excuses? Then he'd have to deal with it? There were constant issues that caused him to wash his hands of it.

To think that it "would cost nothing" to run a check station is a huge mistake. Private business'es aren't going to deal with the nonsense associated with a government mandated "check station" unless there is good renumeration involved. A business is not going to supply staff and logistics to run a check station for free.
    Last edited by Bushmoose; October 9th, 2019 at 08:54 PM.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast