Thread: Hell of a night!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Hell of a night!

First outing if the year - yesterday PM.. got there at 2:30. Climbed my tree.. then at 5:40ish saw a flash of a white tail and some brown rump..bout 50 yards away. 6:00ish a small doe appear to my right (was expecting them to come out of the opposite direction I was sitting. Thought it winded me as it began to turn back.. but stopped after a few short steps and bedded 25 yards from my stand!! First time I've seen this.. SO I'm watching it on and off just to keep an eye on it and maybe some better to follow... Well, it did! A big buck.. and the one I think has been showing on my cam... it came from where I expected it to.. and perfect as wind was in my favour.. What happened next was just another surprise.. the little doe jumped up and started toward the big buck! She paused halfway between us.. and began stomping its hoof.. and just starred intently at the big boy.. this has to be its first mating season.. So the buck holds up but was close enough for a shot if it weren't for the crappy angle and the pine that was partially obstructing my lane..

Now it's 6:25ish and light is dropping off quick..I had to make a decision.. was hoping he'd move closer, but not much happened.. he just sort of held up in that position so maybe he was suspicious of something... She was still trying to bait him but he wouldn't have it... he inched a bit more into the open but was hoping he'd go to my apples.. now the light was almost gone and I figured what the heck - I might as well try for a shot.. I could see his right should so I aimed at it based on the angle of the shot (he was basically quartered). Now that I had a precious couple of minutes. I decided to go for it but a little reluctantly.. Well I missed, and hit the pine.. the lack of good light had to have played a part. They actually barely reacted and remained there. I checked by watch and it was 634 - one last chance... Well, he did go to the apples and I was able to reload by crossbow - I prepared ti take another shot but he then bolted as I probably moved a bit too much given the dim lighting..

Anyhow, it was exciting but I am worried I may have educated this buck and he may not return during legal light... hopefully I am wrong. I have a controlled hunt tag so will give it another go this week...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

cool story! Im betting if he knew you shot at him he's likely gone but hold out. i bet more will come.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Exciting hunt. He'll be back. That's my bet. I'd be right back in that stand

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice play by play, good luck
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"