Thread: Public Lands, Snowmobiling using Club Trails (PUBLIC-CROWN LANDS)

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Public Lands, Snowmobiling using Club Trails (PUBLIC-CROWN LANDS)

Each Year, I post on Snow Trail clubs using public lands for club trails crossing over public or crown lands. Please remember that Public/crown lands are exactly that PUBLIC. If snow clubs state you are required to have a trail pass, to use those trails, it is not TRUE under these conditions. https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/010185

Section 4, 13a, 13b, and 14. If you are traversing the trails (public/crown land only) for the legal purpose of Hunting and Fishing, you are not required to have a trail permit. That means DO NOT go on trails that are club owned (connecting to public lands). I park in parking lots of public lands to unload and load.

Every year the "Trail Police", stop me (I always stop, if only to embarrass them, with law). I have observed quite often with their threats and intimidation the following observations:

Legal STOP officers are required to carry all the gear (required), plus official ID as a Special Constable executing those duties (I should note the official " OPP STOP" program ended in 2016). The stopping agent, must produce ID as required by law. Make sure that ID matches the name tag on vest. (They have to be wearing vest!!!)

6/10 times I have been stopped by club personal wearing the Clubs "Clubs STOP Officer Vest", but were not the official agent (Impersonating a police Officer), it gets better - when requesting they follow me to nearest highway to meet with local police they high tail out of there. That's, Ok as I always film the encounters because I am armed for hunting - my protection. This also applies to OPP riders who are not aware of the regulations for the most part as well...That can be touchy, as I have learned explaining to them the law...

This information is not to downgrade the clubs, but to inform people of their rights when accessing public/crown lands in which snowmobile clubs use these lands. Yes you can support the clubs and help the cause of maintaining the trails (it is good thing), but in my case I have local public land that I use year round for hunting and fishing and only those lands.
    Last edited by line052; October 15th, 2019 at 12:31 PM.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks for the timely reminder. NGO's like the OFSC that have morphed into quasi-judicial groups that are notorious for abuse of authority and
    regulatory over-reach adversely affecting the rights of the public in general always bear diligent scrutiny.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Very interesting! Thanks for posting that.
    TS

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Excellent post. Might not hurt to go to the listed link, print and laminate it and store it in your sled.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Excellent post. Might not hurt to go to the listed link, print and laminate it and store it in your sled.
    Make a few copies, for the friendly people you meet. ( sarcasm )
    Last edited by Snowwalker; October 15th, 2019 at 08:14 PM.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I had a run in with a wannabe snow cop once, didn’t work too well for him as he was sitting in the middle of my property. LOL
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I often wonder how many people have been given illegal tickets....and just paid them..
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    I often wonder how many people have been given illegal tickets....and just paid them..
    Same as any other scam. Enough to make it worth the time to doing.

Write ten and 6 get paid, not a bad PROFIT.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

but it also states that it is only applicable:

'if the trail is the only access route from the closest road to the area open for angling or is the only safe access route to the area open for angling.'

to me this means, I cannot just decide to take my sled to the lake to go fishing and run the trails unless there is no other way to the lake?
    basically if the trail is using the usual access to the lake you are not prevented from using the access even if you don't have a trail pass?
    but otherwise you are out of luck?