Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Squirrel Hunting

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I hunt mine in a mixed forest of maple, oak, hemlock, fir, etc. I am close enough to my tree stand in this forest, that I will put bait such as cheap bird seed down, every day for a week. I frequently sit in my tree stand and I will shoot 2 - 4 then retrieve them. They don't appear to fear danger from above as if they see me walking in the forest. My favourite way of preparing them is to cook 2 at a time in a stew.
    Rick in Muskoka

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have never hunted or eaten squirrel. But after watching Steven Rinella do it....they look delicious!
    Is there a "best" time of year to hunt squirrel?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mo View Post
    I have never hunted or eaten squirrel. But after watching Steven Rinella do it....they look delicious!
    Is there a "best" time of year to hunt squirrel?

Not trying to be smart, but you can only hunt them legally during the "open season '
    Sept. 15 to Dec. 31
    Sept. 25 to Dec. 31 , depending on which Wildlife Management Unit you hunt in.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

imo best time to hunt squirrels is before the first snow fall when the leaves aren't rotted. mid november usually, although this year we basically had 2 weeks of fall before hell froze over. when the little buggers run around and you can hear them skitter, if you have a woodlot trained ear you can basically pinpoint where they are when you hear them.
    now is a decent time too, depending on where you are, although they tend to hole up alot longer in the trees in this cold.

Tony, do me a favour and post a recipe you used after your successful hunt. love seeing the work pay off. To be honest between the deer and the ducks I hadn't really went bush wacking and kind of wish I had...

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Haven't hunted squirrel in a few years, when it was only 2 week season it was always deer hunting. Now it is longer I will go if I have my tags filled, which isn't usually before the end of December. Although the landowner wants them gone, too much damage to his house and shed. I just can't see shooting squirrels in the bush I hunt deer in.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345