Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Hunting

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Squirrel Hunting

anybody around peterborough ever go out and do this? i've been out a couple of times but all i ever see are the red ones and chipmunks. i don't know if anybody has a spot and wouldn't mind somebody tagging along or if a first timer wanted to team up

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I'm in the same boat, tons in the city, as soon as I get to the forest I'm lucky to see a glimpse of one. Tons of chipmunks and pines tho. Struggle continues. I found a beauty tract the other day, saw a buck, doe, tons of turkeys, hundred squirrels on the way. Upon arrival, tract was closed for logging and the search continues! The only option I know for sure is some private land that will require some good ol' fashioned door knocking.

I bought a squirrel call that definitely elicited some responses. But it wasn't until I sat down and waited it out that I saw anything, especially with the current amount of greenery.

Maybe I'll get lucky during my upcoming moose and deer hunts, but usually just pines up there too.

Good luck!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

maple woodlots tend to see them alot.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sitting and being quiet is the way to do it. Setup and sit quietly like your deer hunting, and if there are any around they will start moving. If it is safe to do so, a 22 is better then a shotgun. You have to think of where your bullet will go after the squirrel. Tree trunks that are wide make a safe backstop, so a squirrel in the middle(ish) of a wide trunk is a safer shot.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kooka View Post
    I'm in the same boat, tons in the city, as soon as I get to the forest I'm lucky to see a glimpse of one.
    i know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockerpj View Post
    any specific reason? i would have thought they'd be more around oaks or walnut. the place i've been going has a ton of maples but not much activity unless i'm drawing too much attention from the little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Sitting and being quiet is the way to do it. Setup and sit quietly like your deer hunting, and if there are any around they will start moving. If it is safe to do so, a 22 is better then a shotgun. You have to think of where your bullet will go after the squirrel. Tree trunks that are wide make a safe backstop, so a squirrel in the middle(ish) of a wide trunk is a safer shot.
    any real idea of how long it would take for them to poke their heads out? not saying i don't have the time to sit and wait

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockerpj View Post
    Yup they like maple keys

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ben1983 View Post
    any real idea of how long it would take for them to poke their heads out? not saying i don't have the time to sit and wait
    If they have not been hunted much maybe 5 minutes, but count on 20 to 30 minutes.

You can always scout out a few good spots ahead of time. Also some peanut butter spread on the center of a big tree trunk attracts them and gives you safe shots.
    Don't sit too close. I like 50 yards and head shots. If you can hit a 3/4" circle at 50 yards you'll bag squirrels. Shooting sticks and a chair/seat will make the waits comfortable. Also don't jump up and run over to pickup a squirrel every time you get one. The others will have heard the shot, but if there is no movement they will start moving quicker.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; October 19th, 2019 at 01:09 AM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I use my 950 FPS pellet rifle scoped up to 100ft + or - I feel safer about shot travel & quiet.
    ' This is God's country don't make it look like Hell '
    OFAH member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rossh View Post
    I use my 950 FPS pellet rifle scoped up to 100ft + or - I feel safer about shot travel & quiet.
    An excellent setup. Is your Rifle a Springer or a PCP? Shooting a Spring/Piston Air Rifle takes Practice, because of the double recoil.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

look for bunch of leaves in a maple. You found a nest pump couple shell into it just before dark 2-3 squirrels will fall

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast