Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Hunting

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

This time of year, any standing corn fields, with hardwoods close by.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    look for bunch of leaves in a maple. You found a nest pump couple shell into it just before dark 2-3 squirrels will fall
    sounds like a gambling game to me! pump a shell blindly and hope for the best, and every once in a while WIN BIG!!!! :P

Just starting out

User Info Menu

i got out around 7 this morning and did some walking. i ended up sitting down about 30 feet away from a big ol' maple tree and a squirrel came bounding up a fallen rail fence. pretty sure i got him in the face with the first shot because he tried to hop off but was having a hard time by the looks of it and he ended up going about ten feet up a tree. apparently squirrels are pretty tough because i had shot him 3 times by the looks of it. i had panicked a little when i saw him take off from the first shot but i didn't see the missing eyeball until after he fell out of the tree. i'm guessing i could have just waited it out but i'd rather not lose him in a tree

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    An excellent setup. Is your Rifle a Springer or a PCP? Shooting a Spring/Piston Air Rifle takes Practice, because of the double recoil.
    Crossman Nitro Piston .22
    Got 2 squirrels with it today head shots 33 yds
    Last edited by rossh; October 19th, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
    ' This is God's country don't make it look like Hell '
    OFAH member

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockerpj View Post
    sounds like a gambling game to me! pump a shell blindly and hope for the best, and every once in a while WIN BIG!!!! :P
    When squirrels are chewing your sap lines yup

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ben1983 View Post
    i got out around 7 this morning and did some walking. i ended up sitting down about 30 feet away from a big ol' maple tree and a squirrel came bounding up a fallen rail fence. pretty sure i got him in the face with the first shot because he tried to hop off but was having a hard time by the looks of it and he ended up going about ten feet up a tree. apparently squirrels are pretty tough because i had shot him 3 times by the looks of it. i had panicked a little when i saw him take off from the first shot but i didn't see the missing eyeball until after he fell out of the tree. i'm guessing i could have just waited it out but i'd rather not lose him in a tree
    Gravity is your friend.. if they go up. They most time come down, just not gracefully.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

When squirrels are chewing your sap lines yup
    first squirrel I shot at was on top of a sap line. hit the sapline and he just about crapped his pants. sheepishly I apologized to the landowner and offered to make amends...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Gravity is your friend.. if they go up. They most time come down, just not gracefully.
    it's kind of a satisfying thud. a few more and i can make a nice stew

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ben1983 View Post
    it's kind of a satisfying thud. a few more and i can make a nice stew
    Takes less fox and grey squirrels to make stew, then the red ones. Out west you can shoot all the red squirrels you want but it takes a pile to make a meal for one person. Try feeding five or six guys..
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

look for bunch of leaves in a maple. You found a nest pump couple shell into it just before dark 2-3 squirrels will fall
    I hope you're joking. That's the dumbest and most unethical thing I've read. So if they don't fall out you've killed a "few" squirrels that will rot in the nest, nice. TC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast