Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Hunting

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I hunt mine in a mixed forest of maple, oak, hemlock, fir, etc. I am close enough to my tree stand in this forest, that I will put bait such as cheap bird seed down, every day for a week. I frequently sit in my tree stand and I will shoot 2 - 4 then retrieve them. They don't appear to fear danger from above as if they see me walking in the forest. My favourite way of preparing them is to cook 2 at a time in a stew.
    Rick in Muskoka

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have never hunted or eaten squirrel. But after watching Steven Rinella do it....they look delicious!
    Is there a "best" time of year to hunt squirrel?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mo View Post
    I have never hunted or eaten squirrel. But after watching Steven Rinella do it....they look delicious!
    Is there a "best" time of year to hunt squirrel?

Not trying to be smart, but you can only hunt them legally during the "open season '
    Sept. 15 to Dec. 31
    Sept. 25 to Dec. 31 , depending on which Wildlife Management Unit you hunt in.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

imo best time to hunt squirrels is before the first snow fall when the leaves aren't rotted. mid november usually, although this year we basically had 2 weeks of fall before hell froze over. when the little buggers run around and you can hear them skitter, if you have a woodlot trained ear you can basically pinpoint where they are when you hear them.
    now is a decent time too, depending on where you are, although they tend to hole up alot longer in the trees in this cold.

Tony, do me a favour and post a recipe you used after your successful hunt. love seeing the work pay off. To be honest between the deer and the ducks I hadn't really went bush wacking and kind of wish I had...

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Haven't hunted squirrel in a few years, when it was only 2 week season it was always deer hunting. Now it is longer I will go if I have my tags filled, which isn't usually before the end of December. Although the landowner wants them gone, too much damage to his house and shed. I just can't see shooting squirrels in the bush I hunt deer in.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockerpj View Post
    there's quite a few videos on youtube about "squirrel wings". ive yet to chicken fry a squirrel. might be an order at some point this season.
    Hi,
    A long time ago (~27 years) I hunted squirrel and prepared them in two ways: first was a stew, which was delicious. Then I tried chicken fried squirrel and it was so tough - I didn't enjoy it at all.

Does anyone know a good trick to tenderize squirrel meat before frying? I'll probably get back to hunting this year or next.

Cheers,
    Neil

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neilselden View Post
    Hi,
    A long time ago (~27 years) I hunted squirrel and prepared them in two ways: first was a stew, which was delicious. Then I tried chicken fried squirrel and it was so tough - I didn't enjoy it at all.

Does anyone know a good trick to tenderize squirrel meat before frying? I'll probably get back to hunting this year or next.

Cheers,
    Neil
    For frying, I can't help you out but if you want it to be nice and tender without my prep, a crockpot is the answer.....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Low heat and turn a lot don't cook too long. The low fat content of wild game makes it different.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Most likely said a 100 times already but I learned about squirrels and how to hunt them just a few years ago.

Typically during rabbit hunts I would only see the occasional squirrel (but not legal ones). Then one day a 2 years ago I had set up a bunch of people for deer hunt..and I was only left with hardwood patch which I had zero chance to see a deer..oh well.

I set up my chair, bipod after walking 100 ft in woods. This same area I hunt grouse with good success. I settled in quietly and about 15 minutes after sitting still...the forests came back to life. What I mean by that is, normally I would be trudging through stomping bush for rabbits, or waiting on grouse flush. But, because I was still and making no noise, all the squirrels came back out and went about their business. This same area, I had never seen a black/Grey Fox Squirrel in, and it had a resident population of 5.

So what I learned was spot the nests, stay in hardwood, walk in, sit down and wait for 10-15 minutes, if they are there they will come back out. If nothing after that time, move on to new area. I only use 12 gauge with #4 shot, because bird shot #7.5 peppers them too much at 20-30 yards. I aim at head area so I still have meat.

Old dog can learn new tricks, even by accident.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I find blaze orange is great for attracting squirrels ! Never fails when I'm deer hunting. LoL ! Cheeky buggars get close enough to smack with a stick.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast