Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cow and calves

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Cow and calves

Today was the opening day of calf moose season in northern ontario.....first hour had a cow come out with no calf....pretty disapointed...anyways just wondering did she realy have no calf or was the calf just hidden....let me know if you guys have any opinions on that.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

He could have been killed by wolves ect too

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It’s not uncommon for a cow to keep her calves hidden when they are younger, depending on where you saw her. If she was out in a cutover, I’d say she didn’t have a calf. At this age, calves won’t be far from the cow...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I don't think what you saw is uncommon. Of the cows I've seen hunting moose, it's been 50/50 to see a calf tagging along

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Young calves are never farther than a few steps from the mother. If you did not see one, she probably did not have one.

Sad to see that a large number of cows do not have surviving calves. Bad omen for the future moose population.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Bad for future and bad for hunting....where i hunt it is next to impossible to get adult tags so when i encounter cows and there aint a calf it kinda sucks

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'm still amazed Ontario allows calf hunting while Moose numbers are on downward spiral..

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    I'm still amazed Ontario allows calf hunting while Moose numbers are on downward spiral..
    Me too.... Makes no sense...
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I knew guys that had two cow tags last week but couldn't shoot calves. They got one and thankfully it didnt have a calf. But that's just seems so dumb, shoot the cow and leave the calf to survive on its own

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

It eould kinda make sense if the bull would be the givin tag instead of calf....at lesst where i am we mostly see bulls through the summer months.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast