Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could changes to the Hullet pheasant hunt bring out itís potential?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Sweetness View Post
    Open to all suggestions.
    Not looking to agrue or be ridiculed.
    Trying to brainstorm some ideas, if you have some ideas please post them. Thanks
    Our suggestion would be for active Hullett pheasant hunters to volunteer some time organizing their ideas together to present to the Board of Directors for discussion.

Our Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Sunday May 24 2020 would be ideal situation to voice your ideas and allow the pheasant group over 6 months to prepare. You do not have to be a FOH member to attend this meeting as it is open to the public.
    Last edited by FOH; October 31st, 2019 at 10:01 AM. Reason: year added
    Friends of Hullett

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Sweetness View Post
    Open to all suggestions.
    Not looking to agrue or be ridiculed.
    Trying to brainstorm some ideas, if you have some ideas please post them. Thanks
    Never meant for you to feel ridiculed however proposed changes need to be assessed for both pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    How much does it cost to buy a farm raised bird? Lets say it's legal to release at hullett. How long between release and when you start your hunt? How about when your finishing a coffee before your hunt and another guy walks into the field and starts shooting "your" birds? Not his fault, it's public hunting.

Donations yes, personally releasing birds.....no!
    Its not one or the other but both. Hullet already has a no monopolization policy in the rules. Cost of the birds is irrelevant as all birds released are purchased.
    In essence you have already paid for the birds as either you have purchased tickets or the actual bird. No different if you arrive at a lot have a coffee someone else enters lot and goes out in front of you.
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; October 31st, 2019 at 12:23 PM.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Its not one or the other but both. Hullet already has a no monopolization policy in the rules. Cost of the birds is irrelevant as all birds released are purchased.
    In essence you have already paid for the birds as either you have purchased tickets or the actual bird. No different if you arrive at a lot have a coffee someone else enters lot and goes out in front of you.
    Not talking about rules, just asking how a person would feel if he and buddies put $200 in to birds( looked up price. About $25 a bird). They have just drove a few hours to Hullett, and now are watching someone else shooting the birds.
    There may be a few "Hard Feeling". It's better to donate some dollars and no one "OWNS" any of the birds.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Not talking about rules, just asking how a person would feel if he and buddies put $200 in to birds( looked up price. About $25 a bird). They have just drove a few hours to Hullett, and now are watching someone else shooting the birds.
    There may be a few "Hard Feeling". It's better to donate some dollars and no one "OWNS" any of the birds.
    If one were to organize their own hunt I'm sure they would pick a midweek day when Hullet is a ghost town. Put out their birds and at least they know they hit a fresh release. For those that don't measure the quality of the hunt by the number of birds taken donate to the cause.

User Info Menu

here's a thought release all pheasants prior too the 1st control deer season......lake effect snow shuts down the place by November

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I think everyone is missing the point.
    In the states money is available for the release of pheasants in Hullet like places.Here,the government would rather flush money down the toilet than see it used for hunting opportunities.Thats the point.No money,no funny. So enough with hitting your head against the proverbial wall ideas which require more support.
    For Hullet to be a fun place to hunt rather than a good walk spoiled it must have pheasants.Pheasants come from dollars,and dollars will only come from people who are willing to trade those dollars for hunting opportunities. Which unfortunately for most, means that places like Hullet will be either be restricted to those willing to pay or close up and die. There is no middle ground.Hullet,tiny,conestoga ,luther etc.
    Charge for a season permit to hunt all places ,put them all under the same umbrella.Use the money to raise and release pheasants.Those who are willing to pay will have fun,those who won't will not.The cost will be determined by three things
    1.the amount of participants
    2 The cost of raising and releasing the required amount of birds so people will encounter birds
    3 the pitiful sum the government kicks in
    I too have been to Hullet a few times over the years .Ate wild apples.Contrary to some have said,I dont need to drive to Hullett to have my dog run.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The business model for Hullet makes no sense any more. Unless they go to a user pay either a season pass or daily walk on fee it will gradually die. Nobody should be allowed to kill pheasants without paying. Being crown land people could still hunt grouse, wc , rabbits and waterfowl but a pheasant hunt is basically a put & take game farm scenario. It would be interesting to see credible stats of how many hunters or what proportion actually contribute to funding the birds. Nobody hunts pheasant on Pelee, or Conestoga or Tiny without paying.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I am not sure guys, but I think there is an historical charter agreement at Hullett that is unique that says they may not charge membership money for the pheasant program. That’s why the challenge tickets and dinner fundraiser/auction are so important. Problem is, lots of people don’t contribute, they just consume.

The cover there is fantastic. Scott has spelled it out diplomatically above. He needs more volunteers and more ways to stream in money. If the NWTF can raise tons of bucks from those dinners, why not us?

FWIW, I think they do a pretty good job given what they have to work with and the pheasant program, which is important to me, is just a fraction of what goes on up there.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I haven’t really looked into how they do it. But the province of Alberta releases 28,000 pheasants yearly on public lands for hunting.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    What if the guy who goes in the lot before you takes the coffee you just bought without paying for it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast