Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time shooting with Black Horn 209

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default First time shooting with Black Horn 209

Finally broke the seal on the bottle of BH209 I’ve had sitting in the powder lock up for the past 3 yrs. Time to see what all the fuss was about and if it is worth the extra cost.

One of the big selling features was that it doesn’t create a crud ring in the lower barrel like T7 does…dat be true…the range rod had no problem even after x15 loads.

However, what I found was it forms a crud ring at the top of the barrel. Almost broke my ball starter trying to get it past the first 2-3” below the crown aftr about 6 shots. The last two rounds took a huge effort to get started. Never found this with T7 not sure what to think of it.

Guys also say it was cleaner….not to sure if I agree or not, the patches come out of the barrel were just as dirty as with T7. The barrel and breach plug still required cleaning, so it doesn’t matter ‘how’ dirty really, it still needs to be cleaned.

Over all didn’t notice a great deal of difference from T7 or Pyrodex. It cleans up the same. Not sure what all the fuss was about when it first hit the shelves, just another substitute for Goex

Anyway, I used my .50 cal in-line Traditions ML that was zeroed for a .360 gr bullet with 85 gr of T7. and loaded it up with the 300gr QT and 60grs of BH209.

The first shot was way high and right, hit off the paper.

It took 10 shots and 4 adjustments of the reticle to bring it into center. The next 5 shots grouped fairly well on center, I’ll try a 5 shot set with 50gr then jump to 5 shot set with 70gr load to see it that tightens up that group any, but I'm confidant with those results for a 50 yd shot.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Mike,
    Can you clarify "the range rod had no problem even after x15 loads." You were able to take 15 shots without cleaning? Did I understand that right?

Anyway, I basically stopped using Triple Seven after I found some White Hots. The fouling is much less compared to Triple Seven, but I could not dream of taking 15 shots without cleaning.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Can you clarify "the range rod had no problem even after x15 loads.
    Yup....once I got the sabot below that first 3-4" in the barrel, I switch to a range rod and it pushed down fairly easy after 15 shots. So there is a crud ring...but at the top instead of the bottom

I normally swab the barrel between shots when using T7 or Pyrodex to ensure consistency when I'm zeroing etc.
    I guess I'll still have to do that with the BH209.
    Last edited by MikePal; October 22nd, 2019 at 07:34 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I may have stumbled onto the right combination for a load with this BH209.. purely by luck HaHa..

First shot of the Day thru a clean gun !! A hunter can't ask for better than this !!

I had the same shot last week with the PH .58 Musketoon....first shot of the day after I got it set up !!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Beautiful
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Elite Member

User Info Menu

It might not be perfect, but I have found Black Horn 209 to be the best alternative to black powder for me. Good shooting Mike.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    It might not be perfect, but I have found Black Horn 209 to be the best alternative to black powder for me.
    It does have a few positive points FH, I haven't crono'd it but they say it picks up the velocity some.

I'm glad guys like it enough to go back to using loose powder and develop their loads for the best accuracy. Pellets like the White Hots etc are more convenient, but you could be giving up accuracy for the sake of it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    It does have a few positive points FH, I haven't crono'd it but they say it picks up the velocity some.

I'm glad guys like it enough to go back to using loose powder and develop their loads for the best accuracy. Pellets like the White Hots etc are more convenient, but you could be giving up accuracy for the sake of it.
    It will be interesting to know the velocity difference compared to triple 7, pydorex and goex, real world numbers.

At the price though it seems a little crazy, $3 or so a shot, probably more with premium sabots.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    It will be interesting to know the velocity difference compared to triple 7, pydorex and goex, real world numbers..
    I've seen a few charts;

Goex 100 gr of FFG: 1495 ft/sec
    777 powder 100 gr ; 1,883 ft/sec
    BH 209 100 gr: 1,796 ft/sec

Goex 120 gr of FFG: 1,621 ft/sec
    777 powder 120 gr ; 1,913 ft/sec
    BH 209 120 gr: 2,036 ft/sec

So basically : " At the same time, the Blackhorn 209 and loose 777 loads were comparable in performance with a difference of approximately 100fps in average velocity.

Honestly, the differences in velocity between the various Blackhorn 209 and 777 loads were not big enough to make a gigantic difference afield. Yes, the 120gr load of Blackhorn 209 has a slightly flatter trajectory than the 120gr load of 777 powder, but it’s a small enough improvement that it should not outweigh other concerns you should keep in mind when choosing a propellant like accuracy, cost, availability, reliable ignition, etc."

Keeping in mind, that most ML shooting is less than 100 yds...100 ft/sec is relatively meaningless.
    Last edited by MikePal; October 22nd, 2019 at 12:29 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I've seen a few charts;

Goex 100 gr of FFG: 1495 ft/sec
    777 powder 100 gr ; 1,883 ft/sec
    BH 209 100 gr: 1,796 ft/sec

Goex 120 gr of FFG: 1,621 ft/sec
    777 powder 120 gr ; 1,913 ft/sec
    BH 209 120 gr: 2,036 ft/sec

So basically : " At the same time, the Blackhorn 209 and loose 777 loads were comparable in performance with a difference of approximately 100fps in average velocity.

Honestly, the differences in velocity between the various Blackhorn 209 and 777 loads were not big enough to make a gigantic difference afield. Yes, the 120gr load of Blackhorn 209 has a slightly flatter trajectory than the 120gr load of 777 powder, but it’s a small enough improvement that it should not outweigh other concerns you should keep in mind when choosing a propellant like accuracy, cost, availability, reliable ignition, etc."

Keeping in mind, that most ML shooting is less than 100 yds...100 ft/sec is relatively meaningless.
    I think most guns recommend a max powder of less than 100gr of BH209 as well.

It will be nice to see what numbers you actually get out of it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast