Thread: Help. Hawthorn in eye

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Help. Hawthorn in eye

Had a nice pheasant hunt Saturday morning with my lab. Came home and went about my day, dog slept it off. Sunday morning her eye is weeping a bit and she’s blinking a lot but not overly bothered otherwise. No whimpering, panting or pawing etc.

Got looking with a flashlight and and could see little surface injury then I spotted it, the unmistakable black shape, tip of a hawthorn embedded in the outer clear surface of the eye. #!%$!!!! Off to Emerg vet on Sunday afternoon. Well they said they could sedate and try it but preferably would refer to an optimologist during the week and dispensed antibiotic.

fast forward to this morning. I’m out of the country on business this morning. Wife took her to our regular vet, two vets cannot see the thorn that two vets could easily see yesterday. They think it worked out last night.

id appreciate hearing anyone’s experience or opinion on this, thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Fortunately I have never had to deal with a similar situation with any of our dogs while hunting, but many hunters are looking at Rex Specs (dog goggles designed to protect the eyes and surrounding area) to ward off a similar situation.

Last edited by Dakota Creek; October 22nd, 2019 at 08:03 PM.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UHCH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (500 pt clubs), HRCH-UHCH GMHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH, HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH, HR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug SH WC, HR-UH Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

There is a Animal Eye Clinic in Cambridge 405 Maple Grove Road
    "Without Proper Management Wild Life Becomes Your Next Hood Ornament"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BDH View Post
    There is a Animal Eye Clinic in Cambridge 405 Maple Grove Road
    Dr Whelan is the ophthalmologist there and is very good.
    Last edited by Dakota Creek; October 22nd, 2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UHCH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (500 pt clubs), HRCH-UHCH GMHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH, HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH, HR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug SH WC, HR-UH Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Although I have never had a dog with this problem, working in the steel industry has given me plenty of experience with foreign bodies in the eye. I think if you could see the thorn with your naked eye they would definitely be able to see it with a scope if it was still there. I've had a doctor Miss a piece of Steel and the surface of my eye grew over top but it was still very apparent something was in there because of the redness and irritation/ constant watering.

I think it's very possible The Thorn worked its way out during sleep. But I can understand why you'd be worried considering dogs aren't very good at telling you what's wrong