Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SKS, 7.62 x 39

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Are you asking about the difference between 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 or are you asking people to go out and comparison shop for ammo for you?

The 7.62x39 is what is called an intermediate cartridge developed by the Russians after finding the 7.92x33mm Kurz German intermediate round. The 7.62x51 is a full power round developed from the 300 Savage as a replacement for the 30-06 and adopted by NATO in the 50s.
    I’m not asking anyone to go out and do anything for me. I was asking how that cost ($350 per 1000) would compare to milsurp 7.62 x 51, I don’t know where milsurp is sold but I have read here that some guys buy it
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73hunter View Post
    I’m not asking anyone to go out and do anything for me. I was asking how that cost ($350 per 1000) would compare to milsurp 7.62 x 51, I don’t know where milsurp is sold but I have read here that some guys buy it
    I have not seen much 7.62x51 military surplus in stores, less 7.62x39 in stores now too as a bunch of the stores stopped selling SKS rifles.

At gun shows I generally do not see 7.62x51 but lots of 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R, some 303 Brit, 8mm Mauser and 30-06 surplus.

Pricing for the surplus seems to be all over the map, lots of guys are selling 7.62x39 at gun shows for as much as Barnaul non-corrosive, $10/box I see all the time, which is insane.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Norinco is, Dominion is but anything with just a paper pack I would not trust, even though some countries used non-corrosive primers.

One way to test your ammo is the nail test. You break down the bullet, dump out the powder (the power is not corrosive) and use just a primed case. Start a nail into a 2x4 with a head that is less than 30 cal. Slide the primed case over the nail and while in a safe place to do it fire off the primer onto the nail. Let it sit for a couple days, you will know if your primer is corrosive or not.
    Expensive way to drive nails.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

By the way ... Tenda has a sale on SKS's ..... guess they are off loading before the parliament sits.
    https://www.gotenda.com/product-cate...earms/surplus/

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    By the way ... Tenda has a sale on SKS's ..... guess they are off loading before the parliament sits.
    https://www.gotenda.com/product-cate...earms/surplus/
    Yeah.... that’s part of why I asked the original question. Had one in my hands at the counter there last week but decided against it. Looks like fun but I asked myself if I wanted another gun in my safe when I can’t seem to find enough time to enjoy the ones I already have.
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73hunter View Post
    Yeah.... that’s part of why I asked the original question. Had one in my hands at the counter there last week but decided against it. Looks like fun but I asked myself if I wanted another gun in my safe when I can’t seem to find enough time to enjoy the ones I already have.
    Buy one with a case of ammo, shoot the case of ammo, clean the gun and sell it for what you bought it for.

That seems to be the norm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12