Thread: Waterfowl-er drowns after boat sinks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Waterfowl-er drowns after boat sinks

Hey gang,

This is my first post here. And I hate for it to be a sad one. But I read about this on FB yesterday, and wanted to share with some fellow waterfowl hunters.

There is a nice write up on the "Boss Shot Shells" facebook page about the situation and exactly what happened. The guy who died was one of their pro staff I believe. If you have facebook, I suggest you look them up and read it. Sad story, but very well written. I'll try to post a link at the bottom, but it might not work.

3 guys, 1 Lab, decoys and gear. Flooded their boat with their own wake, and within second the boat was gone from underneath them. 14 FOW, pitch black dark. 3 left, and only 2 came back.

Careful out there everyone. Guy was 38, and left behind 2 daughters.

http://hubcityradio.com/minnesota-ma...owning-victim/

https://m.facebook.com/bossshotshell...31/?type=3&d=m

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Welcome to the site! This is indeed a tragic event. One that is completely preventable, but is all too often repeated. We all have done stupid things, and fortunately survived them ! In my younger days, I and two buddies found ourselves in a very similar situation. The only difference was the water depth. We found out that day that a 14 foot MirroCraft had great buoyancy, she stayed afloat even full of almost freezing water...
    Articles such as this, should serve as a reminder to all .

Just starting out

User Info Menu

when i had read it i had though that somebody else had flown by in their own and flooded the other guys with the wake. i didn't realize they had flooded their own boat. that just sucks man

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sad story indeed.

The guys laugh at me when I peel off the waders before getting in a boat to retrieve birds over deep water and this is exactly why I do it.

Sympathies to the family

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Extremely tragic event indeed.
    My heart goes out to his devastated family, and the poor kids who are now left without a father...

We all need to take a moment and consider our safety whenever fishing or hunting from a boat, climbing a tree stand and any other outdoors activity for that matter. I have been in a few scary situations myself over the years but can't imagine such catastrophe that ends a life.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Was he wearing a life jacket?
    Things that fly turn me on

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    It didn't specifically say, but I am going to assume NOT.

Seems odd, that with all the decoy bags, that he couldn't have grabbed on to something that floats to keep up. But who knows, things happen really quick.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    All Ive read is that there were lifejackets in the boat. I've never heard of anyone drowning with a lifejacket on, but I"m sure its happened somewhere.

I am guilty of not wearing mine all the time. I bought an auto inflate this year, and I've still not worn it several times. Its going to bite me in the one of these days. I tend to not take chances on the water, but bad things always happen fast, and when you least expect it.

S.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    All Ive read is that there were lifejackets in the boat. I've never heard of anyone drowning with a lifejacket on, but I"m sure its happened somewhere.

I am guilty of not wearing mine all the time. I bought an auto inflate this year, and I've still not worn it several times. Its going to bite me in the one of these days. I tend to not take chances on the water, but bad things always happen fast, and when you least expect it.

S.
    I had a sinking feeling you would be a part of this forum as well Shayne!!

Ya, I can't not say I have ever heard of anyone drowning while wearing a PFD, although I assume it happens.

I will admit it, I rarely wear a PDF.