Thread: The Ferguson Rifle

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default The Ferguson Rifle

Very memorable day yesterday, I got to load/shot one of these Ferguson Flint lock BP Rifles (replica) . Very cool.

Video shows the action..it was designed so you could load the rifle, while in battle, laying on your back. You drop and seat your ball ( .65) from the top, pour in the powder (65gr FFg) and then swing/turn the arm from underneath to close the breach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y85XEeOgfuQ

For more on the history of the rifle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODhQmE2OqY

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Very cool Mike.
    It's not the mountain ahead that wears you out, it's the grain of sand in yer shoe.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

A fun read is the novel "The Ferguson Rifle," by Louis L'Amour.

BTW, Mike, I picked up one of the old Dixie .40-cal percussion long rifles from the late sixties or early seventies. If I can get it to shoot well I plan to convert it to flint for a rabbit rifle. Or deer-to-30-yards rifle.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Charlie View Post
    A fun read is the novel "The Ferguson Rifle," by Louis L'Amour.

BTW, Mike, I picked up one of the old Dixie .40-cal percussion long rifles from the late sixties or early seventies. If I can get it to shoot well I plan to convert it to flint for a rabbit rifle. Or deer-to-30-yards rifle.
    I didn't know you were into BP as well KC....

I have a Kentucky .45 percussion that I'd have no qualms hunting deer with under 100 yds.

I was offered a custom Kentucky .32 Flintlock for hunting small game. Problem is, it's more of a collectors rifle ( $$$) than a hunting gun. I'd be constantly worried I scratch it. HaHa..

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I didn't know you were into BP as well KC....

I have a Kentucky .45 percussion that I'd have no qualms hunting deer with under 100 yds.

I was offered a custom Kentucky .32 Flintlock for hunting small game. Problem is, it's more of a collectors rifle ( $$$) than a hunting gun. I'd be constantly worried I scratch it. HaHa..
    I don't shoot black powder much these days, but did shoot a fair bit from about 1988 to 2000.
    I would dearly love a nice .32 or .36 flinter; I may try to build one some day.