Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s an ethical distance between stands when hunting Crown land?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default What’s an ethical distance between stands when hunting Crown land?

Hi, all
    We received this question from an OOD reader and thought the forum is the best place to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    OOD

"I live in northwestern Ontario and I have been baiting a particular spot for approximately 3 years for whitetails. I archery hunt in this area. Today when checking my baits in noticed footprints. I followed and located another stand and bait pile. The new stand which I initially thought was 75 yards from mine turned out to be 250-300 yards according to Google Maps. I contacted several people in the community finally locating the person. After speaking to him, he advised me he just set his stand up in September of 2019. I told him I have had mine there for 3 seasons. I shared the locations VIA screenshots and the deer that we each had on camera (Same ones) SHOCKER! He advised me he was on his way there to hunt and said if you see a truck parked there you know I’m hunting. I know it’s perfectly legal to do so, I’m just curious what the outdoors community thinks of this situation?"
    Last edited by OOD Edit; November 8th, 2019 at 01:05 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The number of times I have dealt with people who "hunted this land for generations", there is no right to any property. Be respectful but both have to play together or nobody will be able to use that land in the future.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I agree with Fox. 250 to 300yds is a fair distance when bow hunting. My son and I hunt about the same distance apart or less and there is no issues. I'd suggest getting to know him better and then you can both hunt it without fighting about it, as it is crown land. If both are respectful of each other and don't mess the other up, I see no issues.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The number of times I have dealt with people who "hunted this land for generations", there is no right to any property. Be respectful but both have to play together or nobody will be able to use that land in the future.
    ^^^^^^^ THIS!! ^^^^^^^ It goes with hunting Crown or public land.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

If i was the second man in, I would move, I know, I dont have to, but it is the respectable thing to do

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I see nothing wrong with 200 - 300 yards, if the stand was say 50 yards I would be concerned for my safety. Personally I would probably gone 500 yards but like I said nothing wrong with 200 -300
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Seeing as it is in NW Ontario, I'm doubting there is a huge lack of room and would think it proper of the second man in to move further away. In reality he could be two kicks away and still be hunting the same deer. No laws have been broken but I think as far as ethics are concerned #2 should give a little more breathing room.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I understand it’s Crown land, and a guy can set up in the next tree, but if you want to be respectful, give the other guy space. In my book, 500m is the minimum distance. This provides a safe buffer and reduces the likelihood of ruining each other’s hunt. That distance increases the odds that both hunters hunt different animals.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    ^^^^^^^ THIS!! ^^^^^^^ It goes with hunting Crown or public land.
    I’ve “owned” the 89% of Ontario known as crown land for 48 years, since the day I was born here and became a resident. I’ve PAID for it since I started paying taxes 30+ years ago.

Whether or not I used that exact piece before is irrelevant.

And absolutely the exact same goes for everyone else who lives in this province.

We ALL own it. It’s ours to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob

CSSA/CFFR/OFAH

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    I agree with Fox. 250 to 300yds is a fair distance when bow hunting. My son and I hunt about the same distance apart or less and there is no issues. I'd suggest getting to know him better and then you can both hunt it without fighting about it, as it is crown land. If both are respectful of each other and don't mess the other up, I see no issues.
    I ran into a hunter at the gas station, then in the parking lot, then I’m the same spot 2 hours later on a 1500 acre plot of county land.

I was shotgun squirrel hunting and he was bow hunting deer. We TALKED, exchanged numbers, and I told him where I was heading and left him to it.

We are now friends online at least and we keep talking about getting out to squirrel hunt some time.

That’s how you handle a conflict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob

CSSA/CFFR/OFAH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast