Thread: First controlled hunt

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default First controlled hunt

Hey there to you folks that have experience with the controlled hunt. We were successful and it says for antlered or antlerless. We don't know if this means that a regular antlered tag is good for either sex, or if one of us needs to have an antlerless tag for this WMU to harvest either sex. Could an experienced person please enlighten us?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

You may shoot a buck or a doe (if it states on your controlled validation). It has nothing to do with being successful in an antlerless deer draw. If you didnt apply/were not successful for an archery antlerless, you may only shoot a doe during your controlled hunt.

Edit: You would use your deer tag even if it says "antlered only" as your license summary states during your controlled hunt you may harvest an antlerless or antlered.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by dano19; November 8th, 2019 at 08:37 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks Dano; I think I "might be" understanding. Anyway there are 4 of us in the controlled hunt. One of us got an antlerless tag for 69A2. Two of us have used our tags during the regular rifle hunt. That leaves us with one antlered tag & the one antlerless for 69A2. So either could be used on an antlerless during the controlled?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

As long as you have applied and were drawn and have the Controlled hunt Validation you can shoot either a buck or doe in that WMU in the controlled hunt.

The antlerless tag is for outside of the controlled hunt, then you can shoot an antlerless deer (bow) in that WMU it was drawn for. The tag is a buck tag anywhere else in Ontario.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Confused yet ???? You can shoot whatever sex is listed on your controlled validation, regardless of what your tag says....

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
    As long as you have applied and were drawn and have the Controlled hunt Validation you can shoot either a buck or doe in that WMU in the controlled hunt.

The antlerless tag is for outside of the controlled hunt, then you can shoot an antlerless deer (bow) in that WMU it was drawn for. The tag is a buck tag anywhere else in Ontario.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    That's the way I understand it. If it's brown it's down and use any tag you like. Might want to think about which hunter might continue to bow hunt after the controlled hunt. Use the tag of the hunter that is only hunting the controlled hunt.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I've got it now. Thanks folks.