Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manitoulin Deer

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

We are heading to the Island tomorrow, we hunt the Meldrum Bay area and the deer count has been low the last few years with signs of recovery.
    Back in the early 80's into the late 90's we had excellent harvest counts and some very impressive bucks on the pole. Hope she comes back to the good old days
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fieldtrip View Post
    Id be really interested in hearing the reports, we plan on moving to manitoulin island in about a year.
    Unfortunately when we got there the deer had moved off the property.. all we saw was a doe with two fawns and two other lone does.. even the cameras never picked up anything while we were there! But oh well thatís the way things go sometimes. Now to start planning for next year!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    We are heading to the Island tomorrow, we hunt the Meldrum Bay area and the deer count has been low the last few years with signs of recovery.
    Back in the early 80's into the late 90's we had excellent harvest counts and some very impressive bucks on the pole. Hope she comes back to the good old days
    Shot my first buck on the island back in 74. I returned to the kill site the next day and shot a wolf. I ended up with the $75.00 bounty. That year the MNR started the hats for hides and had a draw for a moose hide coat, hand made by the natives. I ended up winning the coat !
    I still have it, never been worn. My closet has shrunk it over the years though....
    That was a good year !!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Only one doe opening day and not much sign, looks like our area still needs more time to recover.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Did my FIRST ever hunt around Gordon park Nov22-24 saw nothing... Looking to extend my hunting season now with a bow...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I Just got back from the island after a very sucessful deer hunt last week.
    Interesting conservation system being utilized on the property we hunted as well as the local adjoining properties. The hunters are asked to only shoot single does or bucks, no does with fawns. This family have owned this property for over 100 years and it is lousy with deer including huge bucks. It appears to me that their Homegrown Conservation System is working quite well!
    What if the same rules were applied to the moose hunt?
    Get after it!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deermedo View Post
    I Just got back from the island after a very sucessful deer hunt last week.
    Interesting conservation system being utilized on the property we hunted as well as the local adjoining properties. The hunters are asked to only shoot single does or bucks, no does with fawns. This family have owned this property for over 100 years and it is lousy with deer including huge bucks. It appears to me that their Homegrown Conservation System is working quite well!
    What if the same rules were applied to the moose hunt?
    Get after it!!
    Sounds like a pretty good system to me. Don’t expect the MNRF to buy in though.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12