Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rage expandables

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I posted this video review of the Rage broadhead 3 yrs back and from the sound if it, they still have issues.

I never did trusted mechanical for these very reasons ....switched to fixed blades long ago.

There is something very fishy with this video, I am watching and making an assumption his arrows are far too light.

For the thread, out of my crossbow I shoot the old wasps as of yet, they just work.

Out of my compound I shoot Rage broadheads and have smacked all kids of bones without issue. Granted, I shoot a relatively heavy arrow because speed is a waste if you can't do anything with it at the end of the journey (as clearly demonstrated in the video). I shoot a 70 lb. draw, arrows at 9.1 gpi, 125 grain Rage 3 blade attached through a 25 grain weighted insert. I have no qualms with taking a quartering to shot on a whitetail and have never had an arrow stop before it stuck out the other side. I did have an instance of having an arrow fail to penetrate when a bear whirled as I released but in the end I am glad it was a glancing blow as no blood was drawn and no animal was running around wounded. If marginal hard quartering shots are something you wish to take I'd look elsewhere.

Say you are shooting a Rage 2 blade and one blade breaks or fails to deploy, the cut is still larger than most standard fixed heads out there.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    Every deer ive shot has been with Excalibur bolt cutters each one has killed and given a great bloodtrail, cant go wrong with them. 150g is going to give more penetration which is great, dont need to worry about more speed with xbow there fast enough.

I would never use mechanicals, too many what iffs. IMO mechanical are for people shooting compound bows that cant or too lazy to broadhead tune.

For a xbow theres no argument for not using fixed blade just sight in where broadheads are patterning and youre set.

Thanks for the info. I tuned the broadheads and sighted them in, as you mentioned they shot excellent, hardly and adjustment needed
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Just starting out

User Info Menu

do not use mechanical rage broad heads, I lost a trophy buck because the blades didn't open which caused the arrow not to pass through, even with a lung shot couldn't find it. Excalibur bolt cutters 150grain are the best broad head for Excalibur, i have shot rabbits 30 yards in the head with them. they fly perfect

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishunter View Post
    Excalibur bolt cutters 150grain are the best broad head for Excalibur
    I can't remember who copied who, but the Montec G5 fixed broadhead blades are excellent and work on an Excalibur crossbow.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Mike
    I have read great things about the G5 also but I do trust Excalibur and their R&D
    Small heads equal accuracy but big heads equal huge wound channels and a quick dirt knap. At my age I wonder if I made the right choice.

My tracking boots are getting worn out....Hope the bolt cutters work as advertised
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Okay talking about broadhead is like talking about pick up trucks , I have been bow hunting for 42 year and fill my tags every year . My first was a cross bow Barnett slow as it can be after two deer switches to a compound Bear must faster but alway needed tuning all with fix broad head , then my first Mathews single cam bulldog dream come true with at the time spitfire mechanical alway true arrows trajectory and a Raven with Rage supper fast and now my Chill Monster 30” and rage and since 3 day ago got my self a Excalibur Krytek Raid 335 for late season with Rage crossbow X and shoot a nice 6 pointer last night pass true shoot . So my take is fix or expendable don’t make up for a bad shoot ,a shoulder shoot will not kill a deer it will go for ever and survive, a lung double 150 to 300 year , a heart 100 max ,a single lung up to 1 to 2 kilometres . Having leave in region that have offer 2 to 3 tag and my wife and two kid hunting all with rage for as long they came up we have always fill ours tags and a bad angle shoot is just that ,wait for a better one and this is not about bragging this is what i though 9 new apprentice to the sport including my family.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I love the Rage vs the world debate. I use them. Love them. Haven't had a fail yet. I have noticed on some larger animals that depending on how contact with the ribs happen then penetration can be affected, but I have only had once case where the arrow didn't pass right through, but didn't only because it hit the bears elbow on exit.
    Things that fly turn me on

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I use the hypodermic xbow in 125 gr shooting 430 fps and they work fine, complete pass though on moose at 50 and 63 yards. I've never had issues em and it always leaves a giant hole. Deer have the same results with that setup. If you follow the directions, they will work as expected. The xbow shock collar is for a certain speed rating as is the regular shock collar, you must also line them up correctly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123