Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rage expandables

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
    Noone ever says what Rage broadhead they used.

ORING or Shock collar? I've used both and havnt had problems but I do prefer the older oring style over the shock collar.

100g or 125g?

Crossbow or compound?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    I use a crossbow w 100 gr. Mechanicals.
    I don’t know what model Rage I had, but they are orange colour w a shock collar.
    Just really like the Excalibur X-Act mechanical!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Even if a Rage did not open the cutting width is almost as wide as a fixed blade so not sure why they still wouldn't do lethal damage
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I posted this video review of the Rage broadhead 3 yrs back and from the sound if it, they still have issues.

I never did trusted mechanical for these very reasons ....switched to fixed blades long ago.

Last edited by MikePal; November 24th, 2019 at 06:07 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have always used 125 g Spitfires out of my Xbow. I’ve had great luck with them so far. Once I start using a faster bow, I’m looking at trying the Excal Boltcutters in 125 g.....

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I have shot Jackhammer SST 125 grain expandable broad heads for over 20 plus years with no issues.

https://www.wasparchery.com/product/jak-hammer-1-1-4/

Between my Son, my Wife and myself, we taken lots of deer and bear with these broad heads and NEVER had an issue. My crossbow is an Excalibur which pumps the bolts put at 335 fps. I used to put 2 O rings on them but I even don't do that anymore either.

Just this year alone I took a nice 7 point with them while he was quartering at me 30 yards. With one well placed bolt he ran about 50 yards and piled up. The Jackhammer SST (21" bolt) penetrated thru the lungs to the far scapula that was shattered. One blade on the Jackhammer did break but it did go thru a lot of bone. I was impressed again....

A couple of years ago I shot another buck with a Rage and the blade opened wile being fired. The bolt veered and it became a liver shot instead of a lung. It took me a while to find the deer but I did. I haven't used Rages since.

I will never switch and will be asking Santa for some new ones in my stocking this year.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I posted this video review of the Rage broadhead 3 yrs back and from the sound if it, they still have issues.

I never did trusted mechanical for these very reasons ....switched to fixed blades long ago.

Almost looks like more of an arrow failure than a broadhead failure. The arrow appeared to self-destruct on impact causing the broadhead to disconnect from the arrow.
    I am looking at the bolt cutters for my G340 but have read reviews of bad blood trails due to there very small width

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    Almost looks like more of an arrow failure than a broadhead failure. The arrow appeared to self-destruct on impact causing the broadhead to disconnect from the arrow.
    I am looking at the bolt cutters for my G340 but have read reviews of bad blood trails due to there very small width
    I don't see it that way. In both cases the broadhead failed first and the arrow failed subsequent to that - in the first case because the broad head failure diverted the arrow in to the table top and in the second case, because the broadhead didn't penetrate the ribs, but the arrow did.

Never used mechanicals. When I started bow hunting (2008), there was already enough information on the web recommending fixed broadheads.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

If you don't like mechanical broadheads then of course you will have a bad review....
    From my research they both have advantages and disadvantages over each other. Fixed has an angle advantage, (no worry of expansion issues), Expandable has a broadside advantage, (huge hole and blood loss).

Just like everything in hunting it is all about confidence in the equipment you are using. Believe in your equipment and hunt hard

OFAH and CCFR member

Leads by example

User Info Menu

After a lot of research, talking with my local bow shop and helpful info from you folks, I decided to go with Excalibur 150G Bolt Cutters. I was looking at the 100G because that is the grain tip that came with my bow but the guy at the bow shop convinced me to go with the 150's. He claims the extra frontal weight helps stabilize the arrow and is more accurate than the lighter tip.
    He has been hunting with Excalibur bows for years and said he has tried them all, fixed and expandable and nothing worked as good as the bolt cutters. I guess being that Excalibur designed these specially for there bows maybe there is some truth to that. I plan on giving them a try on Sunday so I will find out soon enough.
    The only thing that made me question buying them was how narrow they are. I have read reviews of poor blood trails. Anyone have any experience on that topic.

OFAH and CCFR member

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    After a lot of research, talking with my local bow shop and helpful info from you folks, I decided to go with Excalibur 150G Bolt Cutters. I was looking at the 100G because that is the grain tip that came with my bow but the guy at the bow shop convinced me to go with the 150's. He claims the extra frontal weight helps stabilize the arrow and is more accurate than the lighter tip.
    He has been hunting with Excalibur bows for years and said he has tried them all, fixed and expandable and nothing worked as good as the bolt cutters. I guess being that Excalibur designed these specially for there bows maybe there is some truth to that. I plan on giving them a try on Sunday so I will find out soon enough.
    The only thing that made me question buying them was how narrow they are. I have read reviews of poor blood trails. Anyone have any experience on that topic.
    Every deer ive shot has been with Excalibur bolt cutters each one has killed and given a great bloodtrail, cant go wrong with them. 150g is going to give more penetration which is great, dont need to worry about more speed with xbow there fast enough.

I would never use mechanicals, too many what iffs. IMO mechanical are for people shooting compound bows that cant or too lazy to broadhead tune.

For a xbow theres no argument for not using fixed blade just sight in where broadheads are patterning and youre set.

Last edited by Deer Wrastler; December 3rd, 2019 at 09:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast