Thread: Report from deer camp - wmu 10

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Default Report from deer camp - wmu 10

From what I can tell, there are fewer deer, especially in the forested areas. One of the gang shot a young 8-pointer in an alfalfa field on Friday evening. I spent most of the day still-hunting today and hardly saw any tracks. We’re a far cry from how things were 10 years ago. Good thing shooting deer isn’t as important as it once was.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Well, it’s Wednesday and still only one deer to show for ourselves. It’s been cold for the last couple of days, low temps in the minus twenty’s (not counting windchill). The cold weather kept us in the shack a bit later in the mornings. Currently sitting in my stand, it’s -7 degrees and the wind is gusting from the NW at 15 kph . Thankfully I’m in my heater body suit otherwise I would be on the ground by now. I’m in a low odds/high reward stand and Mr. Big has 2.5 hours to show up before I call it a day. Good luck to those who are still hunting.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

You guys are grinding it out. Hopefully your persistence pays off. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Best of luck with the time you have left. I know what you mean about the cold. -22 this morning kicked my ....

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Well it’s the last sit of the hunt. I’m sitting in an elavated box blind overlooking an alfalfa field. Temp is -4 and the wind is blowing at 20 km/hr. An hour and ten minutes and it’s over for another year.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Not much to report, a lone fawn came out at 4:20 and fed for 5 minutes before running back into the bush. That’s it. I never had my rifle on a deer all week. Pretty sad.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention that, while hunting last week, I found a fresh wolf-kill. They made quick work of it and, from the bits of jaw bone that I found, it was a fawn.

I had a camera set up nearby since April. Not many deer in that locale, and I fear the wolves will eventually kill them all. I’ve been hoping that the wolf population would crash at some point but, unfortunately, they are holding their own and keeping the deer population from growing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sam Menard; November 17th, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

So you know what you have to do I believe you have a season for them. Sorry to hear about the lack of deer,but if the wolf's are big problems and you have a season. It's time to clean up the area go get some tags and do your part,the problem wont fix itself. Not trying to sound like jer k but some times you have to help the area with some predator control.

For every wild dog you take out, is only going to improve the chances of you getting your deer.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    So you know what you have to do I believe you have a season for them. Sorry to hear about the lack of deer,but if the wolf's are big problems and you have a season. It's time to clean up the area go get some tags and do your part,the problem wont fix itself. Not trying to sound like jer k but some times you have to help the area with some predator control.

For every wild dog you take out, is only going to improve the chances of you getting your deer.

No offence taken. I buy 2 wolf tags and am willing to use them. Unfortunately, I live 5 hours away and don’t have a lot of time to get back there.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    No offence taken. I buy 2 wolf tags and am willing to use them. Unfortunately, I live 5 hours away and don’t have a lot of time to get back there.
    That sucks about the long drive I know how it is to drive long distances . I have family 5 hrs away and I never go unless I have 3 days minimum lol. The weekend is never enough time to visit and play [emoji2958] with the drive. Twice a year I try for week to 5 days but the stars all have to align.