Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Sandhill Crane Seasons

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default More Sandhill Crane Seasons

Dear Waterfowlers:

I just read in the November 2019 issue of "Wildfowl" that the State of Alabama will be conducting its first Sandhill Crane season this year with 400 permits being issued to hunters to harvest three (3) birds each this season.

The State of Kentucky and the State of Tennessee have been granted Sandhill Crane seasons in recent years due to the rapid increase in the number of birds within the Eastern Population of Sandhill Cranes. However the Province of Ontario has yet to address this issue.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Over the last few seasons I have been seeing an increase of Sandhill Cranes, however this season the numbers have been through the roof. In one day of hunting I must have seen 1000 to 2000 cranes. On Saturday afternoon, I saw another 1000 + cranes flying to their roost.

I have seen the damage they do to local farmer 's fields/crops, and its shocking.

It also appears the cranes push out geese and ducks from fields.

I feel its time for a crane hunt, even if its a limited season of a week or 2 with a bag limit of 3 cranes or a tag system.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I also hear there awesome eating.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hookerdown View Post
    It also appears the cranes push out geese and ducks from fields.
    I've never seen evidence of that and I hunt fields here and in western Canada where all are present at the same time. Cranes here may compete for the same food source but they seem to get along and keep their distances from each other. Big difference out west this year was that the geese were keying on waste grain and the cranes were gorging themselves with crickets

IMG_1267h.jpg

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

down south here I don't see very many, certainly not enough that I could hunt. But 4 hours north there are lots, but not in the thousands. And I have also heard the are amazing to eat. Stubble bum,, I want to shoot with you.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I seen I’m guessing a few hundreds flying over my place a month ago. Whenever I see them, I always wonder how far they move in a day. Seems like their always going in circles. They should follow Geese for a while lol.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    And I have also heard the are amazing to eat. Stubble bum,, I want to shoot with you.
    Excellent table fare - we target them at least three days when we're out to get enough to bring home. Last day this year we limited on specks and cranes.

Last Day SK 19.jpg

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Wouldn't hear me complaining if I could get after some flying rib eye!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    Wouldn't hear me complaining if I could get after some flying rib eye!

Theyre that good??

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    Theyre that good??
    Google "rib eye in the sky"

I have never had the opportunity but when something has a nickname like that I can't help but want to give it a try.

How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast