Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are you using for Bait

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    One year I used stabilized rice bran pellets at one stand and the deer devoured it. Quite high in protein and crude fat, specially compared to corn.
    I also found that using a beef mix (high in fiber/fat/protein) from the local feed store works better than just corn. I put out an 80lb bag and it was gone in days. Lots of activity at the site.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I hunt 82a as well and I know on my farm that once the snow hits it is so rare to see a deer on my farms. They move immediately to their winter grounds and then I don’t see them until April again.

I still have a couple 55 pound bags of deer feed I grabbed in Dundalk I have a spypoint that watches my stand area and there must be snow build up on the camera because every picture is just a white out. But like I said in a earlier post I have had the deer hitting the apples all year this year. Only red ones though. They literally avoided any other apple.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Funny you mention the red apples. My experience has been the opposite. I have put out both kinds and the deer in my area ate the small yellow ones and left the red ones. They seemed to like them bite sized too.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Deer in the area I hunt love the apples. Coyotes love them too.

Deer.jpg
    Coyotes.jpg

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flash1 View Post
    Deer in the area I hunt love the apples. Coyotes love them too.

Deer.jpg
    Coyotes.jpg
    Coyotes love pears seems wierd but seen them moving some

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I have tried apples, especially when I can get the side by side in; but last year I had a bushel apples just disappear practically overnight, surprising what 30 turkey can eat. Honestly, every time I try bait it seems I feed everything other that deer, from racoons, skunks, coyote, squirrels, turkey, crow, you name it they seem to show up. Sure I do get deer; but I question the value in it. I did put out 2 Protein Blocks from Rackstacker this year, in one bush the does and fawns loved it, so did the racoons, in the other bush it hardly got touched. I also had a Trophy Rock at both locations with the nuggets spread around, both got hammered, still getting visited.

The best bait... in full estrous mode now.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I put out a jack-o-lantern and apple after last year's hunt but the deer didn't know what to do with it. The mice had a field day under the snow, though.
    20191108_173702.jpg

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

It's funny to read that what they hit seems to change by region, one area they will muck green apples, and another they leave them for red apples. Interesting.

From Aug to about mid October I was putting out water softener salt mixed with sugar beet crush and to my surprise the area where I was dumping it continues to be bare dirt. Even despite the snow we've received, and it's been about 6 weeks since last replenishing it. Apples were also popular in this spot, moving ahead now I think I will try the alflafa cubes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123