Thread: Black Bear Roast

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Black Bear Roast

Soak the defrosted roast in buttermilk for 24 hrs. Drain and put roast in crock pot, half fill crock pot with fresh buttermilk and add water to thin a bit. 1/2 of an onion, a few small chunks of garlic, one pack of dry onion soup mix, salt and pepper and slow cook for 8-10 hours

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by huntnmachine; November 14th, 2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

sounds good. what's the purpose of soaking in buttermilk for 24 hrs?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Made bear at the deer camp .....semi frozen roast , steaks and chops .....Instant pot 35 mins.... 2 cups of beef bouillon..... half a pack of onion soup mix ....then added sliced carrots after for another 10 mins. Guys cryed "BS" that it was beef ..... we now have 10 more guys hunting bear during moose and deer hunts ! LOL !
    Glen

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JJL View Post
    The only reason I could ever see is if it was a dump bear and you really needed to kill the bad taste. Otherwise I would never do that. I want bear to taste like bear, same as any other game the last thing I want is for everything to taste like beef.

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JJL View Post
    Because it doesn't taste like the food they are used to eating from the fast food joints that most people eat at these days, so they have to kill the real taste.
    It makes you wonder , do they also treat their beef roasts and steaks this way ??? , just imagine a "filet mignon"that has been soaked in buttermilk, " double yuck".

Leads by example

User Info Menu

It softens the meat. Give it a try.....trust me you will taste the difference.
    We do not shoot dump bears, our bears are feed with molasses and dry dog food.....spoiled brats
    Last edited by huntnmachine; November 25th, 2019 at 06:48 PM.

OFAH and CCFR member

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Because it doesn't taste like the food they are used to eating from the fast food joints that most people eat at these days, so they have to kill the real taste.
    It makes you wonder , do they also treat their beef roasts and steaks this way ??? , just imagine a "filet mignon"that has been soaked in buttermilk, " double yuck".
    Just sharing my blend....sorry, I will not chime in again.
    Enjoy your boot leather....lol

OFAH and CCFR member

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Huntmachine I've always thought that the main use of buttermilk was to kill the strong flavour of some game meat, hence my statement. I never really considered it for a meat tenderizer until you mentioned it later, but after googling it I see it works well for that as a light acidic solution. So thanks for sharing. However I would still be somewhat concerned about losing too much flavour from the bear meat by actually cooking it in buttermilk as well, but that's just me. I bet it just falls apart though. I can think of some old rut crazed buck meat that was tough even with the better cuts that could have benefited from that technique.

Cheers

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Found a bear roast in the freezer and will try the buttermilk this weekend. Thanks