Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Problems for Grouse

NEW JERSEY CANCELS GROUSE SEASON

[COLOR=#000000]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [COLOR=#8C919B]shutterstock/ian maton
    By Joe Healy

The verdict was thumbs down for ruffed grouse hunters in New Jersey, as the state Fish and Game Council voted unanimously at its summer planning meeting to suspend the grouse season statewide in 2019. Ruffed grouse populations in the Garden State have continued to decline, even with attempts beginning in 2005 to conserve grouse by reducing the season length and lowering the daily bag limit as well as dividing the state into two hunting zones—north and south—with the southern zone having a shorter season.The same as in many Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states, grouse populations in New Jersey have declined primarily due to habitat loss. State records show that the entire Garden State is about 40 percent forested, but only 1 percent of that is the early succession, or young, forest in which grouse thrive. Also in the past few years throughout the natural range of ruffed grouse, West Nile Virus has affected the birds. And, of course, other wildlife and avian predators kill and eat grouse too. Officials are quick to say that hunting is not the cause of grouse-population declines, and hunting groups such as The Upland Bird Committee of the New Jersey Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs agreed with the closure.
    What’s next? At press time state wildlife officials were devising a grouse recovery plan, including efforts to enhance habitat. WMAs in the northern half of the state may offer the most promise, though officials are examining other state lands and are promoting forest improvements on private lands as well.

It appears that grouse are having problems all across their range.

Last edited by jaycee; November 15th, 2019 at 06:17 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I don't know about NJ,but,I've been pounding the bush pretty hard for the last two weeks after the Deer. I can count on one hand the number of Grouse flushes I've had. At the start of the season,there seemed to be lots.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I’ve been hitting the bush hard too lol but on a serious note I wasn’t flushing any grouse until last weekend. I flushed 10 grouse from this one tree, I couldn’t believe it. Two days later same bush 0 flushes. I’m talking about the southern grouse of course. The only changes I’ve seen is the habitat . Trees are getting bigger from past years and a lot more sightings of birds of prey.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Well, at least they recognize the problem and started doing something about it. Hopefully they don't just close the season and call it a win. It seems like the states have pretty good forest/game management that suits the interest of hunters.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I probably seen over 30 grouse this past 2 weeks of deer season in the south. It's not all doom and gloom.
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Seen more Grouse in my area of 65 than ever have, however up around Algonquin Park near Bissett creek the past two years have barely heard a sound.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

i flushed a few partridge during the shotgun hunt and then a couple when hunting them. I'm sure this is more regional but the west nile is concerning. Im in southern ontario now, so can't speak for the northern birds that seemed healthy number wise 2 years ago in sudbury.

to be honest, I'm surprised with the amount of partridge down here and hope they continue to thrive. the hunting pressure for them down here compared to the north is night and day.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

seems like i haven't been able to go out hunting without kicking at least one of the boogers since september

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockerpj View Post
    i flushed a few partridge during the shotgun hunt and then a couple when hunting them. I'm sure this is more regional but the west nile is concerning. Im in southern ontario now, so can't speak for the northern birds that seemed healthy number wise 2 years ago in sudbury.

to be honest, I'm surprised with the amount of partridge down here and hope they continue to thrive. the hunting pressure for them down here compared to the north is night and day.
    Never saw a partridge around SW Ontario, up around Ottawa you used to see partridge but that was a long time ago, nothing ever in SW Ontario. Hunted grouse when hunting rabbits but never a partridge down that way

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    I’ve been hitting the bush hard too lol but on a serious note I wasn’t flushing any grouse until last weekend. I flushed 10 grouse from this one tree, I couldn’t believe it. Two days later same bush 0 flushes. I’m talking about the southern grouse of course. The only changes I’ve seen is the habitat . Trees are getting bigger from past years and a lot more sightings of birds of prey.
    Lots or birds of prey is a start, the lack of trapping going on does not help either. Raccoon, Martin, Fisher, Coyote and Fox all help put a poop kicking to them with the nest raiders probably doing the most damage.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast