Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scent Killer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Scent Killer.

I tried out this product this year and wonder if any of you guys believe it works?

When I went to get some from my local CT store the first place only had giant containers that you could take a bath in,probably last a few years.

The second CT had four bottles left on the shelf,first bottle I picked up and was just about to cash out with I happened to look at the bottom of the bottle.

Expiry date March 2015. I went back to look at the last three bottles two were February 2017 and one was June 2019.

I spoke with the manager who simply shrugged of any concerns, apologized and took the rest of the shelf.I did buy the June 2019 bottle.

Just out of interest I called wildlife research the manufacturer in the USA.One of the owners there basically told me that this stuff should be good within 2-3 years of the expiry date and just to give it a good shake.

He was not to impressed with the 2015 bottle still on the shelf.

Anyway if any of you bought this stuff recently check the bottom of the bottle and you might get a surprise especially if you buy from CT.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I don't know Gilroy. I'm sure it can't hurt but not so sure that it will fool a deer's nose. My buddy used to douse himself in it and he didn't have any more success than those of us who didn't worry about it.

My brother shoots more deer per man hour in the bush than anyone in camp and smokes a cigarette an hour on his watch. The doe he shot last Saturday came from what should have been downwind right after he put one out. I say "should have" been downwind, but wind does strange things in the woods. I'm also starting to think that cigarette smoke confuses a deer's nose somewhat.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I don't use it and don't believe in it much. Movement imo is the biggest giveaway when an animal is close. As far as I see it, you can de-scent your clothes all you need, but you still have to breath, which gives off so much more scent than your clothes ever will..lol.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Gilly, I'm surprised at you? You're a Scotsman and spending money frivolousy?
    Ever let a rip roarin fart while sitting in your stand? Don't waste your pension money on that stuff!
    Geesh! Gotta teach you foreigners everything?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

User Info Menu

I do use a form of scent elimination spray and will stand by how well it works. I make my own stuff and a batch lasts about 3 years. I've messed around quite a bit using it, then not and find a noticable difference in being winded.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I don't use anything special although I did break down and buy two trail cameras. I also don't have as much time as others to get out, nor have I shot as many deer. But that said people have shot deer for years long before these products existed.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I don't use anything special although I did break down and buy two trail cameras. I also don't have as much time as others to get out, nor have I shot as many deer. But that said people have shot deer for years long before these products existed.
    Exactly! You're a youngin yet. You'll have lots of time to sit in the stand and hope the deer don't smell your last night's supper!
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

If you’re into scent eliminating spray, try Fabreeze unscented. It’s cheaper and works as well as the scent killer.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    I tried out this product this year and wonder if any of you guys believe it works?

When I went to get some from my local CT store the first place only had giant containers that you could take a bath in,probably last a few years.

The second CT had four bottles left on the shelf,first bottle I picked up and was just about to cash out with I happened to look at the bottom of the bottle.

Expiry date March 2015. I went back to look at the last three bottles two were February 2017 and one was June 2019.

I spoke with the manager who simply shrugged of any concerns, apologized and took the rest of the shelf.I did buy the June 2019 bottle.

Just out of interest I called wildlife research the manufacturer in the USA.One of the owners there basically told me that this stuff should be good within 2-3 years of the expiry date and just to give it a good shake.

He was not to impressed with the 2015 bottle still on the shelf.

Anyway if any of you bought this stuff recently check the bottom of the bottle and you might get a surprise especially if you buy from CT.
    While i stopped using scent killers few years back,for those who bought some from TSC store, this is a good info.Thank You.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

A deer has more olfactory sensors in their nose than a dog does and a dog can detect 2 parts in a trillion of chemical concentration. Think about that for a second and then ask your question again.
    By the way, to get an idea of how much that is, a trillion seconds is over 31,500 years. 2 parts is 2 seconds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast