Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scent Killer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Scent 'eliminating' is a misnomer ..most products that work, trick a deer nose by masking your scent, usually by covering it with something stronger.

I use simulated Fox urine on a wick drag to cover my scent when I'm walking to my strand. Seen it work , fooled deer who cross the same trail I was on, no hesitation.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

C'mon BM, it's not 'you foreigners'. It's 'you people'.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kavanagh View Post
    A deer has more olfactory sensors in their nose than a dog does and a dog can detect 2 parts in a trillion of chemical concentration. Think about that for a second and then ask your question again.
    By the way, to get an idea of how much that is, a trillion seconds is over 31,500 years. 2 parts is 2 seconds.
    It's not just that they have far more sensitive sense of smell. They also have the ability to discriminate - in the same way dogs and most other animals do. Humans tend only to be able to identify the strongest smell. Like the sniffer dog being able to smell drugs in a container of gasoline, a deer can determine whether you are a stinky hunter, or a stinky hunter doused in cover scent. The only way to beat a deer nose is to have the wind in your favour.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

chemically scent killer sprays absolutely work. It's how much of a difference they make while deer hunting that is the ongoing debate. Most people are either of the point of view that you can never hide all your scent so there is no point trying, or they believe in scent control and can be quite fanatical about it.

I'm somewhere in the middle. While you absolutely cannot eliminate all your scent, you can minimize it. If that minimization buys me a few seconds or a few yards it might well make the difference in a successful hunt. If a deer smells me but thinks I'm further away than I am, that might work out in my favour. Hunting the wind is great advice, but most of the places I've hunted the wind changes, swirls and thermals happen morning an night. You can't always just hunt the wind. If you try you will certainly end up a long way from home with no way back until the wind changes direction.

To each their own, and there is no right way, but I will promise you that using scent killer will never hinder your hunt. Sure it costs $10, but if your a hunter I suspect that is a drop in the bucket compared to what your hunting trips cost you.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Maybe we should all just start smoking while in the bush. I have used sprays in the past, but I'm more of a believer in wind direction.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Until you can stop your breath going airborne while you breath , cant see how using scentout on your cloths will help?..

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FishHog View Post
    chemically scent killer sprays absolutely work. It's how much of a difference they make while deer hunting that is the ongoing debate. Most people are either of the point of view that you can never hide all your scent so there is no point trying, or they believe in scent control and can be quite fanatical about it.

I'm somewhere in the middle. While you absolutely cannot eliminate all your scent, you can minimize it. If that minimization buys me a few seconds or a few yards it might well make the difference in a successful hunt. If a deer smells me but thinks I'm further away than I am, that might work out in my favour. Hunting the wind is great advice, but most of the places I've hunted the wind changes, swirls and thermals happen morning an night. You can't always just hunt the wind. If you try you will certainly end up a long way from home with no way back until the wind changes direction.

To each their own, and there is no right way, but I will promise you that using scent killer will never hinder your hunt. Sure it costs $10, but if your a hunter I suspect that is a drop in the bucket compared to what your hunting trips cost you.
    X2 with what you just stated.
    To add to the wind dilemma, once i mapped out all my deer sighting /deer harvest/opportunity versus the wind direction.I have about 10 years of data from my hunting diary....
    I was amazed how LITTLE the deer was moving INTO the wind.....i will find it somewhere eventually and post the result once found.

Most amazing finding was that just about half the times they were actually travelling WITH the wind.Not necessary 100% with the wind ,mostly crosswind- not PERPENDICULAR ,but so to say QUARTERING AWAY from the wind.
    I am talking forest and bush hunting,not field edges.
    The rest was if i recall correctly- split between moving into the wind and moving perpendicular to the wind.
    Go figure.
    Last edited by gbk; November 19th, 2019 at 07:19 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    X2 with what you just stated.
    To add to the wind dilemma, once i mapped out all my deer sighting /deer harvest/opportunity versus the wind direction.I have about 10 years of data from my hunting diary....
    I was amazed how LITTLE the deer was moving INTO the wind.....i will find it somewhere eventually and post the result once found.

Most amazing finding was that just about half the times they were actually travelling WITH the wind.Not necessary 100% with the wind ,mostly crosswind- not PERPENDICULAR ,but so to say QUARTERING AWAY from the wind.
    I am talking forest and bush hunting,not field edges.
    The rest was if i recall correctly- split between moving into the wind and moving perpendicular to the wind.
    Go figure.
    I'm not surprised, my observations lead me to believe that deer go where they want to go regardless of wind. Many large bucks covered in GPS studies live in a 1 square mile area all their lives. Can't just travel with the wind and do that. Kind of like when I spot and stalk. I start going into or at least quartering into the wind, but sooner or later I need to turn around to get home. Rather than figuring my hunt is over and just hiking home, I hunt my way home. I have taken a few deer over the years during that part of my hunt. Not as many as when working into the wind, but I can't hunt in one direction all day, just as a deer won't move only in one direction.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I dunno.. I was/am leary of it (the 99% stuff) as their marketing strategy just seemed to be to flood the market. There is loads of it up here. Everywhere. I just never hear anybody praise it.

I use scent "eliminator" but I went with stuff that had rave reviews. I've been using Primos Silver (now renamed Control Freak) and it seems to work? The last buck I shot came in a while after a doe came through. I use it liberally on more than one layer, and give my boots a shot before heading out. The doe crossed my path, milled around for a bit and continued on her way. She had no idea I was there (40yds away in a natural cover ground blind). The buck did much the same a while after, until I shot him
    Dead Down Wind is also supposed to be very good. I got the "Northwoods Hunter" pack on clearance at Walmart last year for $6. Haven't had to use it yet though.

Didn't see any deer this year. But one morning had a cow with twin calves pass by the blind. At one point I was between the cow and the calves (both about 20yds away) so I stood up in case she objected. So they got a bit of a visual and knew I was there, but seemed like they couldn't figure out what I was. They hung around in my shooting lanes for a maybe half an hour, then started to move off. And then the cow circled back and headed right for the blind, I'm assuming to try and figure me out as they stayed there looking. They hung around for an hour all said and done. They were downwind most of the time. Took off when I got up and walked out from behind the blind.
    Last edited by Northhunter; November 25th, 2019 at 02:40 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

All this scent eliminator is such bs. I donít know how many cigarettes I have had to spit out too take a shot. Crossbow to muzzleloader keep your money

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast