Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scent Killer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    All this scent eliminator is such bs. I don’t know how many cigarettes I have had to spit out too take a shot. Crossbow to muzzleloader keep your money
    What you don,t know is how many animals detected you and avoided you?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    All this scent eliminator is such bs. I donít know how many cigarettes I have had to spit out too take a shot. Crossbow to muzzleloader keep your money
    My question as to the cigarette post;

Just how many truly mature bucks have been harvested while smoking? I'm not talking 2 1/2 year old, I mean mature big bucks. I used to smoke but would never smoke in the stand or near my hunting clothes.

I toss this conversation around quite often with guys at work and others. The most common answer is "nobody wants them big ones anyway, taste like sht they do!". Or the odd guy will pipe up "well, my dad shot a monster in 1974". I laugh at both the rebuttals because it proves my point.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

My first buck was taken right after having a smoke. 10-15yds. He was a big 8, massive body. Butcher guesstimated 300, live weight and probably wasn't far off. At the time I said maybe 4 1/4, but really that was just an educated guess.
    I was sitting at the end of a creek on the right side, and the smoke appeared to be going down and following it out, instead of drifting across to the other side (where the buck came from). I have no way of knowing if he smelled it or not.

I also happen to hunt deer where I spend a lot of time in the spring/summer fishing. I smoke in the boat, and quite often it will get swept towards shore and into the bush. I can't help but think maybe they get used to it?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

This product has another spin, rather than scent control they claim humans give off an electrical field that wild life can detect.
    https://hecswildlife.hecsllc.com/hecs-technology/
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    This product has another spin, rather than scent control they claim humans give off an electrical field that wild life can detect.
    https://hecswildlife.hecsllc.com/hecs-technology/
    I'm told a tinfoil hat will block out electrical detection as well..lol.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    I'm told a tinfoil hat will block out electrical detection as well..lol.
    Well my tinfoil hat works that way.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

i was into scent control until i started watching tracking videos. Dogs can track people and animals 12-24 hours after there gone and all they have to work with is a footprint. from what i've read deer have better noses, forget trying to beat that. I've had many many deer cross my tracks with no issue (and no scent control used) but their head is up. as soon as they put their nose to the ground and you've stepped there, the jig is up.
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parkcity View Post
    i was into scent control until i started watching tracking videos. Dogs can track people and animals 12-24 hours after there gone and all they have to work with is a footprint. from what i've read deer have better noses, forget trying to beat that. I've had many many deer cross my tracks with no issue (and no scent control used) but their head is up. as soon as they put their nose to the ground and you've stepped there, the jig is up.
    Dogs can be trained to attach to and track one specific group of scents at a time be it human or otherwise. A deer has an incredible sense of smell but it is constantly bombarded with different scents that it must sift through to sense danger.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Re; dogs and tracking... we are forever shedding dead skin cells. It's a major contributor to household dust. So they are not going on "just a footprint", but still pretty remarkable what they can do.
    I wear my hunt clothes when I'm hunting. When I get back to camp, they come off. And if I've been out and work up a sweat in them, I'm very consious of that. I'll swap them out, give them a wash, etc.
    I used to keep them in a plastic bag with cedar & pine clippings. But that was a bit of a chore, and the scent eliminating stuff attacks all odours, not just ours.. so I thought it to be counter productive (keeping them in a bag with smelly things and then spraying them with stuff that attacks that odour). So now I just spray every couple hunts. Usually my base layer and jacket/pants.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have used vanilla as a scent block with very good results. I’ve had deer directly down wind that have no idea I’m there. It’s a good cover scent and you don’t stink like fox or deer urine !!!
    A buddy had a bottle of skunk scent break in his coat pocket....he wasn’t well received back at camp !!!
    Last edited by rick_iles; November 25th, 2019 at 08:21 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123