Thread: OMC engines

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default OMC engines

Does anyone have experience with OMC engines with the VRO system ( oil/gas mixture ) .Looking at a used boat that has a 70 hp motor with this . Any input appreciated .

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The system of mixing oil and gas from separate tanks has been around since the late 70's. It was really popular with snowmobiles where temperature extremes were present and it worked flawlessly in those harsh conditions. If you Google omc vro system you will get a tech report on the topic that should set your mind at ease on the reliability of the process.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have a 1994 60 Johnson with VRO that works flawlessly. Did some research before I bought it (10 yrs ago) and found 2 important notes. 1) make sure there is a primer bulb in the oil line (as well as the gas line. I see many such engines without the primer and the owner is now pre mixing the gas because the system wasn't working. 2) Always prime the oil line before the gas line then start the engine. I guess being able to prime the oil line ensures that there is oil in the VRO system before the engine starts ensures that the VRO system works as it should.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I had a Johnson 40 with vro and the oil pump would always fail and were about $400 to replace. I finally got fed up and bypassed the vro and used mixed gas. I found that the engine didn't perform as well but was more reliable.
    I didn't know about having a primer on the oil tank as mine didn't have one. Maybe that's why I blew so many pumps.
    My engine was a 1989 model.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have a 1988 60 HP and a 1994 150 HP, both the VRO system. They both work terrific. Never had a problem with either.
    Rick in Muskoka