Thread: Looking for dock space in 2020

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Looking for dock space in 2020

Hey all!

Been a little while since I posted, but due to a recent move, I'm no longer able to house my boat in the garage and tow it to where I wish to fish.

So, I'm exploring options to dock the boat on a lake in 2020.

I've got a small 14' Springbok outboard, and I'd love to find a spot to put it on a lake no more than 2hrs from Toronto area. Muskokas, Kawarthas and lakes in between suit me fine, so long as there's great fishing.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm fine with considering both commercial marinas as well as those who wish to rent me space on a private dock someplace.

Thanks for any and all traffic on this thread!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Call around to marinas in Muskoka, most of them will have docking space for rent. But call early (now, or early in the new year if theyre closed for the season). Generally speaking docking in Muskoka is $1000-1500 season for the mid sized and up lakes, with the super lakes (Joe, Rosseau, Muskoka, Lake of Bays) being in the $2000-2500 range. Additionally, some resorts will do docking as well.

I think what I would try and do is find some dry land storage in Muskoka and trailer from there until you find a lake you like. You may find a marina or small resort that will let you stash a boat on their grounds for a minimal fee. The reason I say this is that lakes in Northern ON, being oligotrophic lakes arent always as simple to fish as southern ON lakes with shallow water. They can be downright difficult to understand. Find a lake you like and then commit to a permanent docking situation.

What do you want to fish for? I may be able to narrow down my suggestions a bit. There is a big difference in "I like largemouth" vs "I like lake trout". Many lakes in Muskoka list both of those species present, but in many cases one or the other is a population which is so small its really not worth targeting.
    Last edited by blasted_saber; November 23rd, 2019 at 08:46 AM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Appreciate the reply!

I'm mainly shallow water sport fishing (bass, perch, etc.).

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

You would probably be better off to just find a secure storage site close to where you live. It will probbaly be cheaper, and you can still easily go wherever you want instead of being stuck on one lake all the time.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I'm sure you're going to rather want dry land secure storage ... it should be easy to launch that boat. It's gonna be a lot of money to rent a slip ... so unless you're going to use the boat several times a week, it's not going to be worth the money for a 14 footer.