Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: for the do it youselfers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I donít think the price of birds is a big deal for most gundog owners. The big issue is access to property where one can release training birds and shoot them for the dogs. Iím not aware of any place that allows individuals to do their own releases? I would jump at an opportunity to join a group/club who could lease suitable grounds to do live bird training, permits and all........
    Last edited by terrym; November 21st, 2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I know a few people who talked about raising them, apparently they are a high stress bird and tend to kill themselves.

I think $14 a bird is not bad as you do not have to build a place for them and care for them.

Where are you finding them where you can raise them for under $2 each? They are $4.20 each from Frey's if you buy between 20 and 49, that was the 2018 pricing.
    It's not so much where they kill themselves, but each other. The group will pick one out and peck at it until it's a writhing ball of skin then move on to the next.

Predators coming by the pens or birds flying over will send them in to an escape frenzy and some will injure themselves on the pens.

The roosters are some noisy and their mating ritual is more along the lines of rape, lol.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    It's not so much where they kill themselves, but each other. The group will pick one out and peck at it until it's a writhing ball of skin then move on to the next.

Predators coming by the pens or birds flying over will send them in to an escape frenzy and some will injure themselves on the pens.

The roosters are some noisy and their mating ritual is more along the lines of rape, lol.

Nothing in the barnyard is consensual, watching our ducks they essentially gang rape the girls, it is screwed up when you personify it.

I always thought about raising pheasants, do you do it? If so I may want to pick your brain.

Quail are bad too, they will literally peck through the back of the head of the other birds, it is crazy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Nothing in the barnyard is consensual, watching our ducks they essentially gang rape the girls, it is screwed up when you personify it.

I always thought about raising pheasants, do you do it? If so I may want to pick your brain.

Quail are bad too, they will literally peck through the back of the head of the other birds, it is crazy.
    We used to raise Ringnecks and Goldens. The Ringnecks were hardier but killed each other if not watched. The Goldens were quite soft when it came to inclement weather. The trick was to find the instigator that started picking on the other birds, it was always one and once it opened a wound on the other bird the rest took over. Took some figuring but my mother actually figured out how to put a stop to it.

So to answer, yes, used to raise them. Life has gotten in the way now.

How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    We used to raise Ringnecks and Goldens. The Ringnecks were hardier but killed each other if not watched. The Goldens were quite soft when it came to inclement weather. The trick was to find the instigator that started picking on the other birds, it was always one and once it opened a wound on the other bird the rest took over. Took some figuring but my mother actually figured out how to put a stop to it.

So to answer, yes, used to raise them. Life has gotten in the way now.

They put blinders on them now to prevent the pecking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    They put blinders on them now to prevent the pecking.
    That makes sense. We used to find the instigator and put white out on its wing tips, that bird took a beating until the white was gone but it seemed to stop the carnage.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

The blinders help. I was part of a work bee a few years back at Hullett when they still penned birds. We installed those blinders all morning.

the one year we raised them, I was surprised at how vicious they were to each other. Like little velociraptors. I shoot them out of self defence
    Last edited by dilly; November 22nd, 2019 at 01:39 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    The blinders help. I was part of a work bee a few years back at Hullett when they still penned birds. We installed those blinders all morning.

the one year we raised them, I was surprised at how vicious they were to each other. Like little velociraptors. I shoot them out of self defence
    A muscovey duck bit me (they have a hooked bill), damn scar will be there for life.

Livestock can be brutal.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Releasing birds no however keeping them in captivity still think there is some paper work involved

A paid bird is a paid bird. Doesn't matter who releases it. Might not have noticed the dog but they are put out for them not me. Try to post to generate some further or new interest and bring out a newbie or too.
    Its great one would pressure others to donate money so they have birds too shoot. Has to be the only reason mass midweek releases where all the regulars show up so by the weekend when the average joe can get out there are none.
    So long and short of it think its time to leave this fiasco of an outdoor forum
    No wonder upland is a dying sport.
    Have fun guys as I'm outa here.
    Upland hunting in southern Ontario is really limited to natural migration of woodcock and maybe the odd area that still hold some grouse. Beyond that it is programs that are "put and take" and need the financial support of the hunters themselves so that they can continue, Eg: Hullet. They are failing because too many people are "takers" and add nothing other than complaining about the program. That's a huge reason Upland hunting is failing.
    Unless you "actually " purchase those tickets at Hullet it's destined for failure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12