Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Gy in my group did it for his bear looms good

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    I do my fair share of euros and use a 40 volume cream whitener from a salon supply store. Brush it on the skull, cover with plastic wrap and leave overnight.

You can get cheap 3% in bulk and reuse it but it only works well if you use it for the second boil, 20 minutes and you are good.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    I second that! I actually find they turn out pretty white using 40 volume peroxide.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Finished these two off with an 8 hour soak in 20 volume.

I have found the boiling part to be far more important, two or three changes of water minimum. I add some laundry detergent to the first two pots and half a box of baking soda to the third.20191122_150908.jpg

How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    Finished these two off with an 8 hour soak in 20 volume.

I have found the boiling part to be far more important, two or three changes of water minimum. I add some laundry detergent to the first two pots and half a box of baking soda to the third.20191122_150908.jpg

If you can find it Arm & Hammer washing soda does a great job degreasing when boiling. I find I only have to boil them once for 1-11/2 hours and then after cleaning a rinse in clean boiling water. TC

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trky chsr View Post
    If you can find it Arm & Hammer washing soda does a great job degreasing when boiling. I find I only have to boil them once for 1-11/2 hours and then after cleaning a rinse in clean boiling water. TC
    That's the good stuff! Even the liquid detergent works far better than dish soap.

How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have been cleaning skulls for over 25 years
    And The only thing I use is soda ash, I don’t think there are too many people that know about it.
    Soda Ash, commonly called Sal Soda, is used to dissolve meat, fat and grease when simmering skulls and antler plates. Simply add Soda Ash to simmering water and immerse the skull or antler plate
    Nothing else needed.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Skull, where do you get the sal soda from? Is it something that can be picked up locally?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I simmered a skull cap in oxiclean for a few hours last year. Oxiclean contains soda ash and sodium percarbonate (and other fillers). It worked really good.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    Skull, where do you get the sal soda from? Is it something that can be picked up locally?
    I get my supplies from McKenzie Taxidermy
    Here is the link https://www.mckenziesp.com/Search.aspx?k=Soda+ash
    I don’t think there is anything local

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast