Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bleaching deer skull

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Bleaching deer skull

It was probably discussed previously and I had read a bit about it but still would like to ask.
    Many people suggest never use chloride bleach as it will eventually destroy the skull over the time. I had previously used H2O2 for that purpose several times but it takes a lot of time, you need a lot of H2O2 and as such it cost some money. Chloride bleach at the other hand is very cheap and do the job much faster.
    Friend of mine once used chloride for that and the skull seems OK for several years now.
    I personally think if you wash out bleach very well after using it then it should be OK.
    One downside of chloride bleach for that purpose is that the skull becomes unnaturally white, while when using H2O2 it remains more naturally colored, like ivory.
    Any shared experience or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I do my fair share of euros and use a 40 volume cream whitener from a salon supply store. Brush it on the skull, cover with plastic wrap and leave overnight.

You can get cheap 3% in bulk and reuse it but it only works well if you use it for the second boil, 20 minutes and you are good.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oaknut; November 21st, 2019 at 02:14 PM.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I’ve only ever used peroxide. It seems to do a nice job. Not too white and gives it a good cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

cheap bottle of peroxide from the drug store. Put papertowels onto skull and then soak with peroxide. Push towels down to make sure you have complete contact and keep them wet for 24hrs of so has always worked well for me. Straight bleach seemed to make the bone a little chalky on my older mounts but they are nice and bright white, as opposed to more ivory with the peroxide

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I've got one that I used chlorine bleach on. After 10 years the bone starts to flake apart. I thought I rinsed it really well at the time.

I go to sally's beauty and get the highest power liquid they sell. You might spend $30 on it. I've been using the same stuff for years, it will do a lot of skulls. Sometimes I'll freshen it up with a new jug. Store it in a dark place and it keeps its power. The paste option is cheaper. I leave it in overnight, I don't call that taking a long time.

Even if you spent $30 on each skull, it is a cheap trophy that will last your lifetime. I'd personally rather hang a skull that hasn't been whitened than risk damaging it with bleach.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I have done a few, peroxide does the trick. This is an interesting YouTube channel demonstrating how to do it, he also does many other animals.

https://youtu.be/sOVbnB1KzFo

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the advises and will follow them.
    I only did not get what exactly is this
    40 volume cream whitener from a salon supply store
    and this
    sally's beauty and get the highest power liquid they sell
    Are you talking about peroxide?
    Thanks!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Sally's Beauty is a supply store that sells hair products. The strongest peroxide commercially available is used for whitening hair. Yes, those are both referring to peroxide. "Volume" is the strength system used in the hairdressing industry. These products are available in liquid or cream formats.

Brown bottle peroxide from the grocery store is usually 3% peroxide.
    "20 Volume" = 6%
    "30 Volume" = 9%
    "40 Volume" = 12%

Stronger products perform substantially better. Hope this helps.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/hai.../SLNCAR67.html

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FishHog View Post
    cheap bottle of peroxide from the drug store. Put papertowels onto skull and then soak with peroxide. Push towels down to make sure you have complete contact and keep them wet for 24hrs of so has always worked well for me. Straight bleach seemed to make the bone a little chalky on my older mounts but they are nice and bright white, as opposed to more ivory with the peroxide
    I have been doing the same, it works well.
    Also: make sure you keep the peroxide out of the antlers (& protect your eyes /skin of course)
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast