Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lets talk Atv

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    As far as features in an atv, I decided after owning a few, that the following were absolutes:
    - independent suspension. If you are gonna spend any amount of time on it, especially trail riding, your back and body will thank you. On the flip side, you lose some ground clearance when loaded or towing compared to a straight axle.
    - fuel injection. No messing with a choke during a cold start and warm up. I found some machines to be very finicky in this regard, not so with EFI.
    - front diff lock. Without it you are essentially driving a 3wd machine. Nothing more fustrating than getting hung up and finding that the one front wheel that is in the air is getting the drive sent to it while the one on the ground is sitting stationary.
    - automatic. I did not like to always be shifting gears, especially when group riding where the speed was being determined by someone else.
    - winch. If you are going to be riding alone, this can be a real blessing, even if you are trying to be cautious.

As far as brands, I have owned Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Arctic Cat. I have found that there reasons why Arctic Cat (USA) and CF Moto (China) have a lower price point compared to the Japanese machines of similar displacement. When compared side by side, the differences in engineering are obvious. Axle and driveshaft diameter, A arm and suspension components, frame structure - Japanese machines are superior in almost every regard in my observation. A pet peeve of mine is the braking system on Arctic Cat (now Textron) and Polaris machines that only offer a singular control, as compared to others that have separate front and rear controls.

I own both an atv and side by side (utv), and find that both have their advantages. The atv is more agile and able to navigate tighter trails, while the utv is a great machine for touring and hunting purposes in less confined areas, with lots of room for gear, and protection from the elements.
    As always, your mileage may vary.
    Funny my Cat has front and rear brakes with separate controls. As far as independent suspensions, can't complain as it rides very comfortable.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Funny my Cat has front and rear brakes with separate controls. As far as independent suspensions, can't complain as it rides very comfortable.
    Not sure what model you are riding, but all the Cat's I've seen have a single handle bar brake lever and a foot pedal. When you use the handle bar lever you get all wheel braking. When you use the foot pedal you get two wheel rear braking. There is no control to apply front wheel braking only, which was the point I was originally making.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Yeah, your handlebar lever works all 3 calipers, 70% front 30% rear is how it should work. My mother borrowed my 650 twin when it was a week old and didn't realize she was on the foot pedal over 30 miles and melted the caliper for the foot lever. I took it all off and have only had the handlebar brake since.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm not interested in the others they are pretty much a dime a dozen on Kijiji. The reason the Yamaha and Honda are so hard to find is everyone wants them.

I'm still holding out for a Yamaha Kodiak 450 or a Honda Foreman. If I don't find anything this year I guess I will have to buy new next year. My son is just getting to big to ride on the back of the ATV.

These Bikes hold their value the 2008 Kodiak sold for 6 grand in 2008 and you can still sell it for 6 grand. I see 1999 going for 2500. Pretty sure I could ask 3 for my bike and I paid 2

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    Yeah, your handlebar lever works all 3 calipers, 70% front 30% rear is how it should work. My mother borrowed my 650 twin when it was a week old and didn't realize she was on the foot pedal over 30 miles and melted the caliper for the foot lever. I took it all off and have only had the handlebar brake since.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Sounds about right, foot brake is rear only.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345