Thread: Safety reminder for those taking part in the ml hunt.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Safety reminder for those taking part in the ml hunt.

Folks, check your witness marks, be careful to make sure your bore is empty before loading, and remember to remove ramrod from barrel after loading.

Distraction can kill you!

A young lad brought over his savage smokeless this week after he was sighting in and received a call from his brother while loading. He accidentally left the ramrod in and pulled the trigger. The recoil rocked his world.

He is ok - I told him to go buy lottery ticket. He is beyond lucky. Barrel is bulged and ruined. We pulled it off the gun and barrel will be cut to pieces as it is now unsafe.

Be careful folks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Distraction can kill you!
    Very good advice, I find I have to set up a 'left to right' process one load at a time now to ensure I don't miss a step or worse repeat a step.

Good the hear the lad wasn't injured, a costly error but still lucky it wasn't worse.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Good timely advice right there. I have a friend that lost a couple of fingers while loading a M/L. Undivided attention is the watchword with those rifles.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Keep the primer out of breath until you’re ready to fire also. Pull primer out when done that days hunt also.

Also careful letting the hammer down if it has been cocked. Cold fingers or thumbs can keep the right pressure needed to bring down the hammer correctly causing it to go off.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I must admit I'm a little jacked when I'm shooting the ML. I'm not totally comfortable with the gun so my adrenaline level is a bit higher than normal. I could see those accidents mentioned happening unless you're super aware of what you're doing. It takes time to get familiar with the process.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Some good advice. I’m no expert, but I like to have loads ready in speed loader tubes. I find it less confusing than grabbing components from their box. Easier to keep track.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great info!

You really need to slow it down when dealing with a ML. If I blew up my Savage and my hand that would be devastating and neither are replaceable!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Definitely stop and think, specially for those of us that have shot a muzzleloader for a while complacency happens to us all, marking your ram rod to your current load to make sure you don't load your powder or bullet twice. Safe hunting for those in the muzzleloader hunt.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Wheh, I can only imagine the recoil off the shot with the ramrod in the barrel.

Worst things I've had happen was a momentary hang fire (still got the deer) and one very cold morning trying to reload quickly I dropped a 777 pellet down the barrel and it came out spitting and spinning into the air. I assume there was an ember of some sort in the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?