Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summary of proposed Moose hunting changes for 2020

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Winner,winner,chicken dinner! Calf seasons haven't changed in south (Sat to Fri. for whatever stupid reason),but,will be on lottery system the same as adult or be completely prohibited,entirely. How many hunters do you know that will pay full price for a license to simply party hunt for one calf? I don't know ONE. A crew might get enough meat to cover a whole cracker. They may even find it necessary to tell some members of camps with 8 or more hunters to stay home. That'll go over well,won't it? It appears the government wants to drastically reduce the Moose harvest while rigging the system to maintain a cash flow. It's bound to fall flatter than piss on a plate.
    There's already a lottery for calves in some southern zones. And yes, people apply for them because it's a very high percentage draw. As far as "enough meat to cover a cracker" - a moose calf is larger than the biggest buck you'll ever shoot - and it's a lot more meat than you'll get with no tag at all.

The MNR has continued to hand out calf tags expecting (as you do) that hunters will not use them. This has been proven wrong for the last thirty years, and even when there is a lottery for calves to further discourage it, hunters still will shoot calves because the system allows it. Instead of "hoping hunters won't shoot calves", why not just get rid of the calf season??? Oh - it's because of the cash. You can't sell calf licenses to hunters for the revenue it generates and expect them not to use them - which is what the MNR is hoping will happen.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It’s going to be interesting in 2021.....No group allocations, everyone applies individually, then buys a tag if successful. You will have the chance to buy a moose licence with no tag, at a reduced price, so you can party hunt with someone who does have a tag.....it’s going to be interesting !!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    It’s going to be interesting in 2021.....No group allocations, everyone applies individually, then buys a tag if successful. You will have the chance to buy a moose licence with no tag, at a reduced price, so you can party hunt with someone who does have a tag.....it’s going to be interesting !!
    I think once this is in place, people are going to be fairly happy with it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlife View Post
    Surely there may be a sensible limit to the # of hunters on one tag and its not 15-20. In Alberta and Manitoba the # is 2.
    The last I heard, the group sizes for party hunts will be lowered. Sounds to me like the system will be similar to the elk draw system we have now....maybe without the requirement to add the other hunters (3), on your application....

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I think the question should be why the continuous drop in moose tags over the life of the lottery system? We should have at least triple the numbers we have today.
    The problem is why more complex than killing calves.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gibb View Post
    I think the question should be why the continuous drop in moose tags over the life of the lottery system? We should have at least triple the numbers we have today.
    The problem is why more complex than killing calves.
    YOU ARE KILLING OFF THE NEXT GENERATION EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!!!!!!

It is that bloody simple.

I know who they will blame though, bears, wolves, natives, ticks, etc, etc, etc.

The key here is that we allow every single hunter in Ontario with $50 to spend the ability to kill a calf, approximately 50% of those will be female, so we are allowing half of every single hunter in Ontario with $50 the ability to kill a cow moose without saying it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

I know who they will blame though, bears, wolves, natives, ticks, etc, etc, etc.

The key here is that we allow every single hunter in Ontario with $50 to spend the ability to kill a calf, approximately 50% of those will be female, so we are allowing half of every single hunter in Ontario with $50 the ability to kill a cow moose without saying it.
    I totally agree fox we can only take so many calfs before we have another problem.

It's the same concept as the fish no small ones equals no future.

Call it how it is same would apply for the moose. You cant shoot all the young and expect a future. So now what you switch it and shoot the adults and there is still only small future ahead.

Even still only some areas have a healthy population of moose.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fishfood; December 13th, 2019 at 07:42 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    I totally agree fox we can only take so many calfs before we have another problem.

It's the same concept as the fish no small ones equals no future.

Call it how it is same would apply for the moose. You cant shoot all the young and expect a future. So now what you switch it and shoot the adults and there is still only small future ahead.

Even still only some areas have a healthy population of moose.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    I completely agree with both of you. (it must be getting near Christmas)LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123