Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Minkenry

  1. #1
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default Minkenry

    Anyone ever heard of this before? I stumbled across this guy on youtube and I'm fascinated by it. The last thing I need is another hunting hobby but I'm seriously considering getting a mink now haha

    No idea if legal in Ontario or not

    https://youtu.be/TjRNj038PRc

    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

    -Ted Nugent

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I used to watch this guy a lot. Pretty cool

    Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

  4. #3
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Would be like hunting with ferrets.
    Not legal in Ontario.




    _____________________________________
    Living proof that "beer builds better bellies".

  5. #4
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Would be like hunting with ferrets.
    Not legal in Ontario.
    The Act says “ferret”.....

  6. #5
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    This just might apply.

    Release of wildlife
    46 (1) A person shall not release a farmed animal and shall not release game wildlife or specially protected wildlife that is kept in captivity unless the person does so,
    (a) in accordance with the authorization of the Minister; or
    (b) in the circumstances prescribed by the regulations. 2012, c. 8, Sched. 16, s. 8 (1).




    _____________________________________
    Living proof that "beer builds better bellies".

  7. #6
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    This just might apply.

    Release of wildlife
    46 (1) A person shall not release a farmed animal and shall not release game wildlife or specially protected wildlife that is kept in captivity unless the person does so,
    (a) in accordance with the authorization of the Minister; or
    (b) in the circumstances prescribed by the regulations. 2012, c. 8, Sched. 16, s. 8 (1).
    Nope......he is not releasing it. That section deals with game wildlife, released into the environment. But it would speak to the release of mink from a mink farm, released by these eco nut bars. We had a couple of those around here in the past....

  8. #7
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Nope......he is not releasing it. That section deals with game wildlife, released into the environment. But it would speak to the release of mink from a mink farm, released by these eco nut bars. We had a couple of those around here in the past....
    Did you watch the video.
    He clearly stated he got it from a mink farm.
    And yes he released it. Just because he recovered it doesn't mean it wasn't released.
    Farm raised mink can carry diseases (Aleutian disease the main one) that can harm a wild population.
    And that section deals with both farm raised and wildlife.




    _____________________________________
    Living proof that "beer builds better bellies".

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Did you watch the video.
    He clearly stated he got it from a mink farm.
    And yes he released it. Just because he recovered it doesn't mean it wasn't released.
    Farm raised mink can carry diseases (Aleutian disease the main one) that can harm a wild population.
    And that section deals with both farm raised and wildlife.
    You are really grasping at straws. Granted, he got it from a farm, kept it and made a pet out of it....it wasn’t released, he still had control of it. The section you posted deals with the release of pheasants, farm raised deer, elk, wild boars, etc. etc......if that were the case, we wouldn’t have another section dealing specifically with hunting with a ferret !
    Last edited by rick_iles; December 8th, 2019 at 03:45 PM.

  10. #9
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    And if the mink caught the muskrat in the den when would the mink come back out.
    Could be days later when no one was there.
    How did he have control of it if it decided to take off?
    It wasn't fenced in or on a leash.
    And mink are listed as farmed animals and also fur bearing animals.
    Maybe ferrets are listed as there is a tradition of using them for hunting and this isn't the case for minks.
    Have you had much experience with minks?
    Not generally a friendly critter.
    I wouldn't want to be the one trying to convince a CO that all's OK because it's not a ferret but a mink.




    _____________________________________
    Living proof that "beer builds better bellies".

  11. #10
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I'm going to call the ministry and ask about this.

    I can guarantee the game warden I know would be happy to see me targetting muskrats, Hes always scolding my cousin and I for not trapping enough anymore. I keep telling him I'm too busy hunting to be a trapper. This would be good middle ground to help thin out some swamp rats, But still hunting.


    Maybe I should just look for a fisher and go for coons around all the local barns.... instead of a mink and muskrats LOL

    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

    -Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •