Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproofing / weather proofing leather hiking boots

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Waterproofing / weather proofing leather hiking boots

Years ago when I bought all leather boots I used to treat them with some sort of animal grease can't remember might have been mink oil. Last year I bought those nylon winter boots and used that nano spray stuff. I just order online from Cabelas tonight a pair of

Cabela's Men's 800-Gram All-Leather Iron Ridge™ Hunting Boots with GORE-TEX

Should I use the nano spray stuff or mink oil.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Leather-mink oil. Non-leather Scotch Guard spray can
    Last edited by canadaman30; December 8th, 2019 at 09:00 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I always used dubbin.....

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Those are great boots. I bought a pair in October, 400 grams, and they haven't disappointed yet. I wear them as my regular winter boots and my feet stay dry and warm. Comfortable as well. They are pretty stiff when new so the will require plenty of breaking in.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Is that Nano waterproffing spray any good ? Saw it at Mark's the other day, never heard of it before.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The nano spray seems to work good on the nylon style hunting boots and on shoes as well as canvas like material like my insulated coveralls.

I just read last night not to use it on leather as it blocks the pores.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Nik wax in a tube, sort of smells like linseed oil but I've been using it on leather boots for over 20 years. Twice a year application and still dry.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No one uses bear grease any more? It's similar to mink oil - but just what you'd think it is - rendered bear fat.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    I always used dubbin.....
    X2 .... the every day leather boots I wear are starting their 3rd winter... of course they were made in Canada so the quality is way better, but wash, dry, polish and rub on at the beginning and end of the season. I also use it on sheathes, ball gloves and anything leather. Actually I just polished my wife's boots, they looked scuffed so I put on the brown polish and afterwards rubbed some dubbin on and the leather looks almost new.

My dad had a box of polishes, silicons, mink oil etc. and I have used the mink oil and I will use it on some items but it SEEMS like since is over 20 years old (may just be the way it originally was?) the consistency is more like putting on polish than a grease so it takes a BIT (not much) more effort to put on. They both seem good but I haven't done any real comparison.... anyone actually compared?

The non-leather boots get some silicon over the stitches and seems once or twice a year too. Especially if I am planning some ice fishing, a wet foot is a real annoyance!
    Last edited by mosquito; December 9th, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    No one uses bear grease any more? It's similar to mink oil - but just what you'd think it is - rendered bear fat.
    Not just for boots...tents, slickers, leather belts, etc.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast