Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproofing / weather proofing leather hiking boots

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    No one uses bear grease any more? It's similar to mink oil - but just what you'd think it is - rendered bear fat.
    It is great stuff!
    It also rejuvenates old dried out leather, My neighbor, bought a used dirt bike with it he also got a pair of leather motorcycle boots that were very stiff and hard, we warmed them up with a hair drier and applied the rendered bear fat. The boots were brought back to as new condition, and he is still using them 4 years later. They are still comfortable and waterproof, according to him.
    I have been using bear fat for umpteen ?? years, my leather boots are still water proof and very comfortable.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I use a product called Sno Seal. Pretty sure its beeswax.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes I have heard of that product

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-wanShinobi View Post

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-wanShinobi View Post
    Also a very good product, best way to apply it is to warm up the leather boots with a hair drier then apply the Sno Seal.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Actually just dug through some of my old supplies and found half a jar of it. Does it make any sense to put on several coats. I can set my boots near the wood stove so it should soak in good. Would 2 or 3 coats help more or just one good thick coat.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Also a very good product, best way to apply it is to warm up the leather boots with a hair drier then apply the Sno Seal.
    That's exactly what I do every hunting season and keeps my boots waterproof and in like new condition for about 5 years now.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Actually just dug through some of my old supplies and found half a jar of it. Does it make any sense to put on several coats. I can set my boots near the wood stove so it should soak in good. Would 2 or 3 coats help more or just one good thick coat.
    I’ve been using it on my boots for over twenty years and the method I use is warming your boots in the oven. Warm oven to 125-F and turn off. Place boots in oven for a few minutes. Take one out and spread sno seal on fairly heavy and massage as much as you can into the leather until it’s absorbed. Wipe off remainder and use on the other boot. Don’t forget to remove laces before heating boots. You want to get the tongue as well. One of my boots are almost 30 years old. Sorel Alaskan minus 100. Still in great shape. The oven method is actually on the product label. So one good coat is all you need. Hope this helps.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

These boots came pre oiled, should I still treat them?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I apply a coat on all my new boot purchases. Giving them an application adds more protection just in case the manufacturers missed it or applied very little. It happens.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Is it possible to put to much? I was going to apply several coats and let each absorb in to the leather I thought I would just set them by the wood stove.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast